Yes indeed!
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: No.
Feb 07, 2006, 18:01
I'm presuming this is what was originally where that link was pointing:

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/43830

If so, then yes! Couldn't agree more! Clouties are more appropriate and have the tendency to biodegrade - that's the whole idea! A person with an illness/ailment tears a piece of cloth from the afflicted part of the body and ties it to the tree by the well/spring, and as the cloutie deteriorates, the ailment is thus repaired!

G x
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: No.
Feb 07, 2006, 18:09
What I meant to add, before my boss appeared suddenly thus making me hit the panic button ("Post Message") was...

I hate to think what part of the body the plastic flowers and christmas decorations came from, but the rate they will biodegrade will keep the sufferer in pain for some time to come!

>wince!<

G x
VenerableBottyBurp
675 posts

Re: "Yeah,but no,but yeah...."
Feb 08, 2006, 00:11
I don't know what you lot have been drinking but I hope you didn't drive after posting any of this !

I gather we are talkin Swallowhead springs, but what exactly ?

Love, peace, and Chelsea for the treble !

VBB
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: "Yeah,but no,but yeah...."
Feb 08, 2006, 10:16
I believe, my good man, that we're talking about people leaving junk at our beloved sites..! And, specifically, the crud that Moss encountered on her last visit to said springs...

Although I could be wrong!

G x
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Yes.
Feb 08, 2006, 10:37
Yes indeed.

Thank you moss for bring that to our attention. But for all it's tacky trappings the area is still magical. While moss was walking around Silbury yesterday I was walking down Regent Street - several doorways with bundles of rags cocooning fellow human beings; in one bundle the face of a young girl fast asleep. While city people passed by, mobiles stuck to ears, expensive shopping bags dangling from wealthy hands.

Strolling along the Winterbourne at any time of year is almost paradise by comparison.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Feb 08, 2006, 11:57
"Strolling along the Winterbourne at any time of year is almost paradise by comparison"

Yes I agree with you, the problem of tacky bits and pieces at Swallowhead pale into insignificance when someone is cold and hungry. Anyway I wrote it all down this morning and put it into perspective.
Actually it was pretty cold up on Knap Hill sitting and contemplating that strange landscape in the mist, never realised the abruptness and steep decline that plunges down to the plain below. Never made it to Alton Barnes church, too cold and too many ghosts!!
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Feb 08, 2006, 13:13
--
If someone felt a spiritual need to decorate a place ( with a degradable substance ) who can tell them not to, and why would they tell them not to.?
--

They believe it's ok and right to do it and hence do. I believe it spoils a site and hence remove any additions. Who's right?

Yes I am infringing on their beliefs by saying don't leave stuff, but they are infringing on my beliefs by leaving stuff. Why should their beliefs override mine? Especially when mine leaves nothing to annoy, degrade or spoil?
Jo-anne
159 posts

Feb 08, 2006, 15:09
Hmm and considering the spirituality mentioned here is more part of prechristian stuff as to the folk and their monuments of some few thousend years earlier, wouldn't it be more befitting to go to the right place to give real and propper honour to the spiritual feeling ... in or on the sacred ground of a temple (church) of Christ.

My own research has lead me to believe that the religion of the Neolithic was entwined with Cyclade/Greek/Northern influences, and very in line with the after decline period (scripts) of early gods as Oceanus, Dionysus, Feather winged Dragon, Heracles, Zeus, etc

So where does that fit in? If I would desire to worship the ebb and flow of cold Oceanus, the primal source of all that lives or Zeus, son of Cronos ... Hera swept on to Gargaron, and there Zeus, lord of cloud, saw her arrive, he lay still, still as a stone on Gargaron height, would you lie down here on Ida's crest for all the world to see. Or Sleep mounted a tall pine, the tallest one on Ida, grown through mist to pierce the sky.
Or perhaps to feest and offer a pigs to Zeus of the Oath.

Pg 247 Oxfords world's classics Homer The Iliard and Ancient Greek Athletics - Stephan G. Miller.
Small stones.
Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index