Yes.

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Re: Yes.
Feb 08, 2006, 16:16
<i>wouldn't it be more befitting to go to the right place to give real and propper honour to the spiritual feeling ... in or on the sacred ground of a temple (church) of Christ.</i>

If you're Christian, I suppose so. Trouble is, a lot of people aren't Christian these days. And a lot of the people who leave these 'donations' at sites tend to be of the 'fluffy bunny' variety of pagan, rather than proper 'Pagans' who tend to be more aware of environmental issues.

Personally, I'd string 'em all up!
VenerableBottyBurp
675 posts

Re: "Yeah,but no,but yeah...."
Feb 08, 2006, 16:18
Ahhh...I get it now.....

I saw a lot of plastic animals (as in those farm animals made by Britton [Britain ?]) left at Swallowhead !

VBB
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Feb 08, 2006, 16:31
"Personally, I'd string 'em all up!"

So you are a Christian!
Jo-anne
159 posts

Feb 08, 2006, 16:48
Personally, I'd string 'em all up!

I don't go for all this religious stuff either, and find it's just a small part of a picture.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Feb 08, 2006, 17:33
Very well put, Juamei! I couldn't agree more...

I myself have been guilty of tying the odd cloutie, but wouldn't be offended if someone removed it - in fact how would I ever know?

I, personally, think there is a line to be drawn. I think some items are more acceptable than others. As mentioned previosuly, things like plastic toys and tealights are pretty much litter, but I believe that something like a bit of cloth doesn't cause much mess... However, if several hundred people think "my one bit of rag won't do any harm" - look at this lot! http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/30789

Waddya do though, eh? Sheesh!

G x
Jo-anne
159 posts

Feb 08, 2006, 19:05
"my one bit of rag won't do any harm"

I don't quite agree with you here Goffik, one of the posts explained the reason to this custom being 'illness' ... does this not bring a risk of perhaps spreading germs or bacteria? I don't mean it in a exaggerated way ... somehow it does not appeal to me to do any exploring around this kind of stuff.
Jo-anne
159 posts

Feb 08, 2006, 19:14
Ps, Ocifant, sorry for disagreeing, but you seem to harsh in your words, not making much sence and sort of missing the point.

"rather than proper 'Pagans' "

Proper IA Pagans are Christians!

New Agers are a collective of trends.
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Feb 08, 2006, 20:11
<i>Proper IA Pagans are Christians!</i>

Hmmm.

Surely that depends on your definition of Iron Age? According to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prehistoric_Britain#The_Iron_Age the Iron Age was all but over by the time the Romans came in 43ad.

There are some that say the Iron Age lasted until almost the Norman invasion (I've seen figures of 1000ad mentioned), but I don't personally subscribe to that theory.
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Feb 08, 2006, 20:12
Oh, and many of the sites on TMA pre-date the Iron Age by a considerable amount....
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Feb 08, 2006, 20:15
As a child. Then I put away childish things... :-)
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index