Yes.

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Yes.
Feb 08, 2006, 20:24
>... does this not bring a risk of perhaps spreading germs or bacteria? I don't mean it in a exaggerated way ... somehow it does not appeal to me to do any exploring around this kind of stuff.<

Mmm... and would that philosophy also prevent you from shaking the cruddy boxes and clothes that surrounded some poor soul sleeping in some godforsaken doorway in some godforsaken street to see whether or not the soul beneath were still alive or dead... or perhaps just in need of a comforting word?
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Feb 08, 2006, 20:26
So what replaced the Iron Age - the Steel Age? The unfortunate Roman occupation was a continuation of the Iron Age surely.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Feb 08, 2006, 20:43
Hahaa! The "one bit of rag won't do any harm" was my way of pointing out that if several hundred people do it, you end up with a Clootie Well type situation! I remember a "Keep Britain Tidy" slogan saying something similar and nicked it for my own vile purposes...

As for spreading diseases... pffft! I don't think many people will be peeling bandages off weeping sores to hang them in a tree or owt... Probably more like tying a ribbon to rid oneself of heartache or summat...

G x
Jo-anne
159 posts

Feb 08, 2006, 21:19
There is quiet alot that can be researched and discussed on a less emotional level to religion in sections.
400 ad Christianity gets on the way, 0 to 400 ad active rituals are being replaced by more symbolic rituals, whilst putting a larger ceremony into practice. 0 - 200 bc rather a mixup after a Thracian war, from these regions that had two mainstream religions as verbal mystic and the more intellectual (can't find the reference at the moment) came or where an exchange period of arts being identical to the Pictish art. Pre this period 500bc the Persian invasion of Thracia bringing with them there influences. That would be more or less the IA story? And a different parth to the earlier part like before the decline period.

Actually to be honest I've had rather enough of 'religious' discussions aswell and would like to get back to the more archy stone stuff.
Jo-anne
159 posts

Feb 08, 2006, 21:22
Sorry for my spelling.
Jo-anne
159 posts

Feb 08, 2006, 21:29
The Romans where in alliance to the Thracians who in turn where in some kind of mix up with the Greeks. Presumably a important thing in the power struggle of the time was giving extra respect to the gods and styles of the Thracians and not to the Greeks by the Romans.

I have here an image of Jesus (400bc :-) ... it was rather funny coming across it even if we know that the images are of European influence.

Ps don't quote me exactly as I have read such alot and am no more than human and get things mixed up from time to time aswell.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Feb 08, 2006, 21:34
There are many 'tree borne saviours', as Julian so nicely summed them up, Jesus was just one of them. Odin was possibly the last ....
Jo-anne
159 posts

Feb 08, 2006, 21:39
Hmm, thanks for the comment, will be looking forward to having some good talks in the future :-)
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Feb 08, 2006, 21:56
Yes, but I reckon that Odin predates Jesus. Remember the one-eyed Dagenham Idol from the late Neolithic/early Bronze Age? Several Danish Iron Age wooden carvings of Odin too.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Feb 08, 2006, 22:03
>Remember the one-eyed Dagenham Idol from the late Neolithic/early Bronze Age?<

That idol has always intrigued me Peter. It dates, as you say, from late Neolithic to early Bronze Age <i>Britain</i>. Odin belongs to the Germanic tradition, so where do you think the common link might be?
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index