Yes.

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Yes.
Feb 08, 2006, 22:14
There are certainly gods that were nailed to a tree that predate Christ, but whether they are Odin in an earlier guise is debatable. Not saying Odin can't be older than one would normally imagine.
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Feb 08, 2006, 22:14
Indeed Peter, but in that the main remit of TMA is pre-Roman sites, then stating that a site was originally Christian is a bit of a misnomer, surely. That's the point I was clumsily trying to make.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Feb 08, 2006, 22:16
Is the 400bc one called something 'magus' or 'magnus'?
Jo-anne
159 posts

Feb 08, 2006, 22:26
I came across it on an image of a cup in the book 'Ancient Gold - The Wealth of the Thracians. The discription is of a 'horsemen', the facial expression and the clothing is unmistakable though.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Feb 08, 2006, 22:44
Never made it to Alton Barnes church, too cold and too many ghosts!!

Yeah, know how you feel. My ghosts are at Alton Priors - and in a few fields there about...
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Feb 08, 2006, 22:47
I don't see much cultural difference between Britain and Denmark in the Bronze and Iron Ages. Think of all those bog bodies right across from Ireland to Germany with most of those so far found in Denmark. Reading Tacitus's Germania is fascinating for religion and social customs etc. Also worth reading are Glob's two books on the Bog Bodies and the lesser known Mound Bodies.

The Dagenham Idol could have been carved locally or it could have been made in Denmark and gifted or traded to the Thames estuary. He lives in my local museum at Colchester and this is a drawing I did of him See: http://www.megalithic.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=a312&file=index&do=showpic&pid=12127
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Feb 08, 2006, 23:05
Yes, but I wonder what the common link (deity) is here?

Wonder if this god, who sacrificed and eye for a greater wisdom, is found in an older Indo-European tradition?
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Feb 09, 2006, 00:16
Ha!
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Feb 09, 2006, 08:35
I reckon , but can't prove, that he originated much further east. Siberian shaman?
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Feb 09, 2006, 08:57
One of the Irish gods had one eye ... can't remember which one though (will look it up), but he was a biggy.

The common link is not the eye, although there will be some relationship through that. The common link is being nailed to or hung from a tree.
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index