234 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Gyrus?
Jan 12, 2006, 17:06
I'm trying to understand what you are implying by stating:

"Orginally it was a psychospatial opposition, referring to inside and outside "sacred spaces", temples. "Sacred"

But 'originally' is pretty non-specific, what source are you citing?

For instance, Chief Seattle used the word 'sacred' on in this speech, yet I find no inference or evidence of 'psychospatial opposition'.

"Every part of the earth is sacred to my people. Every shining pine needle, every sandy shore, every mist in the dark woods, every meadow, every humming insect. All are holy in the memory and experience of my people"

So would 'sacred' as a word (as you claim) 'originally' have meant something different than this? And if indeed it is a movable, 'living' word, which of it's origins are you specifying when you identify the word with 'psychospatial opposition'?

Of course, translated speeches may be wrongly presented, and also tribal land is called 'land', so the whole Earth may or may not be considered 'sacred' by Native American tradition.

It would be interesting to find out though, as an inight into the past meaning of 'sacred'? There is another option, that it may have originally meant many things, depending upon how it was used. For instance, the Cherokee, I have heard, consider 'all water' to be sacred, yet they would also have a tool, or pipe, which would also be considered 'sacred', in a subtly different way.

Just some thoughts.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index