This topic is locked

115 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

'cosy little messageboard clique'
Nov 28, 2005, 15:15
I've heard this said before and I had to challenge it then. Clique means 'small exclusive group' according to the OED. Clearly as this is a public messageboard, it is not 'exclusive'. Quite the reverse in fact. Highly inclusive! It's also quite large. Lots of people come and go, yes, and there are a few of us who have been regulars on this board for many years now. So long in fact, that we have had many opportunities to get to know each other in person, out at the stones, at gigs, shows and picnics. It's nice! It feels like a community. If that's what you mean by 'cosy little messageboard clique', then I say 'hurrah!' I probably have at least 50 friends I have met and have regular contact with on this board.

It's a bit like life, really: good manners, reason, open-mindedness and just plain old-fashioned Being Nice goes down rather well.

Cliques don't let in new people. This messageboard has a long history of welcoming new people (FFS, I found my husband here!) providing they play by the rules, set out in the submission guidelines.

I cannot and will not apologise for the behaviour of anyone else on this board if they have been rude to you. I don't believe I ever have and I'm not about to start now. What I am sorry about is that you get a hard time here, sbp. But its not for me to ask why that is. That is for you to figure out.

However, I do hope you won't think I'm being rude when I disagree with you and say: I challenge your 'cosy little messageboard clique', sbp, and raise you to 'welcoming online community'.
J
x
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index