Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Silbury Round One
Nov 26, 2005, 22:24
I am very tired, but for the record:

We didn't misinterpret anything. However,

a.>
We did believe EH's Risk Assessment document, (section 8.3.3.3) when it said "For re-entry into the tunnels the amount of mechanical damage is calculated on the basis of tunnel enlargement by 0.2m around the existing roof and sides, along all of the 1849 and 1968-69 tunnelling. The figure here for new damage is 166m3 ".

Today, EH said that's not what they meant "in their wildest dreams" and they were aiming to go in on the basis of zero damage or a minimum amount. We look forward to seeing that in print and for the Risk Assessment to be amended to say that there will be no tunnel enlargement by 0.2m and no consequent loss of 166m3. Indeed, if they can do it we'll be the first to hail the miracle.

b.>
At the other end of the scale, we did believe EH's Risk Assessment document (Section 8.3) which calculated the rate of natural collapse, if nothing was done to be very slow and would take many hundreds of years to take place. From this, we had inferred that it would take 107 years before the equivalent damage to the tunnelling damage would occur. Today, their consultant engineer said he did not know how long the natural process would take and he had been pressured to provide those figures. (Not by us, please note. As if.)

So, we were guilty of believing EH's Risk Assessment. In the event, in the two most crucial matters relating to their intention to tunnel, they say we were quite wrong to do so and we must of course accept their word.

(PS - Pete, I have approached this diligently and to the best of my ability and suspect most people know that and will judge your posting on the basis of what they know of me, and of you).
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index