visiters have been causing.
Wotcha Fink?
PeteG
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: WKLB to Close?
Nov 09, 2004, 18:19
Is that bit of land covered by Right to Roam?
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Nov 09, 2004, 18:25
No it owned by a local farmer who allows access.
I've got to say I have been pissed off at the amount of damage.
Local volunteers scrubbed the soot and candle wax off the stones this year. Within weeks it was all back.
PeteG
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 09, 2004, 18:29
I know the candles etc are an ongoing problem Pete, but is there any major permanent damage going on?

Like, for instance, have vandals been up there and done something crass, like built a glass panel into the top? ;)
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Nov 09, 2004, 18:31
Someone took a metal pole up earlier in the year and smashed all the glass. Some of the stones are developing big cracks from candle damage.
PeteG
paul1970
paul1970
111 posts

Nov 09, 2004, 18:37
Never been to west kennet, read an awful lot about it though, seems to be a magnet for individuals and groups intent on ritual!, from the evidence ive seen on the net, mainly photos i really cant fault anybody wanting to restrict access!, honestly speaking what right do we have to enter such places anyway and engage in ritual as many do so, yes i have myself visited several sites and done so on the intention of 'clairvoyantly' gaining evidence to their past use(s).This however in no way degrades the site in anyway or form unlike the evidence shown and spoken of.

Sometimes these places need a break from us, before we break them!
moss
moss
2897 posts

Nov 09, 2004, 18:52
It would be a terrible shame but perhaps it might shock the wicked ones who light these candles. Alternatively, a loud smoke detector (siren level).
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 09, 2004, 18:58
Well for starters, surely,some really prominent notices - at the bottom, outside and inside....
People are always claiming (at least) that they didn't know candles were wrong. I haven't been there for a while - are there adequate warnings?
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Nov 09, 2004, 19:22
Thre are no signs other than the 'Built by savages' type board. Local volunteers have offered to supply biodegradable bins for the collection of rubbish and for people to deposit their T lights in but I don't know if the NT will take the offer up.
I talked with the estate manager about the possibility of putting up a solar panel and a light inside but he reckons it would be nicked quickly.
PeteG
suave harv
suave harv
704 posts

Nov 09, 2004, 19:57
It shouldn't close. Surely tea light damage can be minimised by signs ands warnings. The people that go there with tea lights are not vandals. They would understand.

And surely it's better to have cracked stones than stones no-one is alowed to look at at all?
Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index