West Kennett »
WKLB to Close?

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: WKLB to Close?
Nov 09, 2004, 20:32
So let me get this right, we've got EH with zero keep off notices at Silbury and just down the road we've got NT with zero candle notices at West Ken ???
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 09, 2004, 20:34
"EH with zero keep off notices at Silbury" (alongside the road, that is).
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Nov 09, 2004, 21:16
I think "bugger".

Last time I was there I removed about 20 nightlights & a fair bit of stuff that had been left as offerings, nowhere near any significant events either. Contrast with last time I was at Stoney Littleton, I removed a solid fuel packet and a packet of crisps.

Are NT likely to take down notices placed by anyone else?
sam
sam
151 posts

Nov 09, 2004, 21:56
as an alternative ritual to the tealights, how about flensing and then choosing a nice longbone for interment?

Might work better than signs.
treehugger-uk
treehugger-uk
273 posts

Nov 09, 2004, 22:25
Annoying as it is signs or not there will always be people who feel it is there right to perform rituals,leave offerings and light candles regardless of wether signs tell us not to. a good solution could be a placement of a small shrine outside the barrow by the sign perhaps for people to leave offerings and light a candle in memory of the ancients. just a thought :)

peace

Tree
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Nov 09, 2004, 22:40
Lateral thinking, I like it Mr Tree :)

Though the word 'flensing' makes me smile when I think of some of the eedjits I've encountered at WK.

I was thinking maybe a online infra-red Barrow-cam, so that anyone doing damage can be not only recorded, but would also be broadcast on the net, so Pete can quickly nip round with the flensing implements. But a security camera would be awful, so no, that's a shite idea really. I prefer a separate modern shriney thing.
suave harv
suave harv
704 posts

Nov 09, 2004, 22:44
>I was thinking maybe a online infra-red Barrow-cam, so that anyone doing damage can be not only recorded, but would also >be broadcast on the net, so Pete can quickly nip round with the flensing implements. But a security camera would be awful, >so no, that's a shite idea really. I prefer a separate modern shriney thing.

I think I prefer cracked stones!
I'll get me coat. . .
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Nov 09, 2004, 22:45
If they did, how would they close it?

Not with a metal grille hopefully. That could be a prelude to an admission fee like at Maes Howe. Not to mention the damage to the barrow. That really would suck.

But there'd have to be something to block the entrance.
Big fence?
Big stone?
Big lad with a big stick?
Big T-light?
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Nov 09, 2004, 22:49
Aw Harve,

I take the point about the cam, but what's wrong with a wee shriney thing for thems as wants to leave bits of plants, light candles or whatever flicks their switch?
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Nov 09, 2004, 22:49
Certainly seems ridiculous to think of closing it without even trying discouraging peeps from doing the tealite etc stuff....

love

Moth
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index