WKLB to Close?

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: WKLB to Close?
Nov 10, 2004, 00:03
Jesus Christ... not sure if the sheep on the left looks interested or terrified.
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Nov 10, 2004, 00:14
Very nice indeed, you intrepid Moth you. Remoteness increases spookyness.

Heading vaguely back in the direction of on-topic, when you think of all this disrespecting of WKLB, it's nowt compared to the graffitti carved into some of the Orcadian tombs. Unstan is dripping with initials carved by Victorians. Not to mention Vikings.

Whilst I can see the point that this adds to the texture of the monuments, I can't help but feel that entropy is capable of doing a damn good job of trashing old stones all on it's own. Hence whatever can be done to halt it should be done. The arguments in favour of placing monuments in aspic verus the arguments in favour of using them as contemporary spaces for ritual activity both have aspects that appeal to me. In order to try and come down from the fence, I tried to think of what I'd say to a BA dude who was in the process of building a triple henge alignment over the top of an old cursus. I ended up deciding that I'd ask them if they could think of a way to place the henge without trashing the cursus. That way the future rolls onwards, but the past is still present. Eh? Urghle? I know what I mean. It just doesn't look that way.

Ahh, Orkney! It's so much nicer there, the past still is so much part of the present.

<Shambles off mumbling>
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Nov 10, 2004, 00:30
Made sense to me.

I deffo need to go to bed.... ;^)

love

Moth
nigelswift
8112 posts

Getting real
Nov 10, 2004, 07:00
Candles as such are actually no problem. It's dripping and smoking and placement that cause the damage.

If they're in containers, and the wick is kept trimmed and they're not near the walls then they're harmless.

Decent gel candles burn for days and hardly need trimming at all so never smoke.

I suspect a lot of people who light candles do so because they need light, not purely as an act of reverence. If there was a bit of a bench in there, they'd put their candles on that, rather than on the wall.

That, plus notices, could be easily tested before the ultimate solution is used.
StoneLifter
StoneLifter
1594 posts

Nov 10, 2004, 08:49
No Ruminants Here protest.

Picture of venus occultation - http://www.spaceweather.com/swpod2004/10nov04/devgun2.jpg - many auroras in N America last night.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: Getting real
Nov 10, 2004, 09:48
likewise. Notices have to be tried first, don't they.
If they really did close the tomb, it could lead to really stupid people doing idiotic damage like they did at Stoney Littleton when that was sealed - people so desperate to get in/unblock it for whatever reason that they broke the stones around the doorway. Which in my mind didn't show a great deal of respect for the barrow or anybody who has ever had an interest in it.
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

Nov 10, 2004, 10:18
> It's that old respect thing again then.

Totally agree Hob. You could hold ceremonies without causing damage or leaving litter. It's just that (for some reason) people don't.
T3mp3r
1 posts

Nov 10, 2004, 11:24
So effectively the actions of a minority are going to stop access to the majority - not exactly a good thing. And while I admit that said minority is doing these actions in good faith, it doesn't change the potential outcome. A sign making them aware of the potential outcome of their action would surely be enough to keep this beautiful site open...
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 11, 2004, 12:59
Something written by Clair Prout of Save Our Ancient Sites....

"Back in October '95 a Wiltshire local paper printed a story about the National Trust (NT) employing security guards to ensure that visitors to West Kennet long barrow behaved 'properly'. This was necessary, we were told, because of increasing damage to the barrow. West Kennet long barrow is a favourite monument of mine and I was alarmed at the thought that security guards, too often uniformed thugs, would be able to turf me out of the barrow if they did not like the look of me, and that the ultimate in 'management' of such sites seems to be to put a fence around them and prevent people from wondering at the beauty and awesome engineering skills involved.

So I took a trip to the barrow to see the damage for myself. I left feeling that the best course of management would be to put an electric fence and a pack of Dobermans around it. "
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Nov 12, 2004, 14:28
Could we just put it in a museum? Everybody's happy then!

G x
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index