Avebury Bypass

127 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
doktoratomik
doktoratomik
379 posts

Re: Avebury Bypass
Jul 09, 2004, 14:44
"You may not realise but Toxic Delerium was trying to point out that despite my base use of the English language I passionately believe a by-pas to be a load of crap, and the last thing Avebury needs."

I agree with both of you on this. The point's not the opinion, but how it's expressed.

"He was merely pointing out that my language should not detract from that said passion and not be dismissed by those with more academic qualifications and who are able to express themselves with longer words and no real love of the area, the stones, the countryside, or the residents of the village."

His comments seemed to be directed towards me personally. I have no academic qualifications worth speaking of but I certainly have a great love for the stones. Surely those who believe in a bypass also feel the same way? It might be a bad idea, but the motivation's the same.

"He is no "dipshit", but a man who feels as passionately as I about this by-pass bollocks, and who hates the way that my lack of a degree in arche-anything often seems to give others licence to try and "do me down"."

Like I said, he ought to check his facts then. I'm a working class scouser who never went anywhere near university, so I hardly think his comments are fair if directed towards me. I make no apology for having a good vocabulary though.

"We are all supposed to be of a like mind, with the same general love of all things megalithic; and yes opinions are a good thing, BUT talking crap and not having the ability to realise your idea /ideas are crap is very sad."

Yes, but it's all a matter of opinion. We think a bypass is a crap idea, other people don't. Why should we assume that their opinion is crap and ours isn't? If we can support our point of view, then we should do so rationally - not by just dismissing the other person's ideas as crap.

"And that goes back to Toxic Delerium, and his post; why do we all take ourselves so arrogantly serious on here? Its a forum for discussion and opinion, and speaking from the heart, sincerely and passionately and not a place to try and come across as superior or more intelectual than others, which is sadly how some people choose to use it."

I can't believe you're talking about me. I have no intellectual pretensions whatsoever. Personally, I'm here coz I like old stones! I don't think I've ever come across as superior or intellectual, and I alway speak from the (light) heart. Toxiclemon my have a valid gripe with some regulars here (although that's never been my experience, so I have no opinion either way), but next time he unloads, he might want to be a bit more selective with his target.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index