Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
The Thornborough Henges »
"Can't be the Stonehenge of the North...

82 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
BrigantesNation
1733 posts

Re: Arbor Low v Thornborough - pistols at dawn
Oct 30, 2003, 16:34
For what it's worth I have been quaite carefull to call it the north of ENGLANDS most important ancient monument - which limits my exposure to the Scottish backlash.

Please do not take anything I say with regards to T as being "from the heart", and certainly (although the press would like it) I in no way consider it more important than any other - let's face it, I hardly know anything about the majority of Neo and BA ritual structures. I'm just following EH's lead - nothing ever knowingly undersold.

This campaign is starting to get the wider attention we need, I know it's gauling to have someone big up their pet case seemingly to the detriment of your own but I really feel that T is going to have a much greater impact on the rest of our monuments than just it's own local ones. Especially the northern monuments, who have all suffered the same level of local authority complacency to a greater or less extent.

I ask for unity - we all have the same cause at heart - locations may vary, our interpretation and motives may differ, but of anyone, it is we who need to bat in the same direction.

I really believe we are reaching a watershed in terms of really ancient archaeology - not only is there far greater development pressures on these sites than ever before, but also my experience of recent digs indicates a lot of the archaeology is expiring even when in situ.

T is not a single issue mission, it is merely a kick off point, a focus that can win the hearts and minds of the public at large. Do not be surprised if our direction changes in future.

Sorry if this sounds like a party political broadcast, I guess in a way it is.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index