Tombo's weblogs...

Pages: 18 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Re: Radiating Power
Sep 23, 2003, 11:09
Oooh! No! Don't go away Earthstepper! We're an ecclectic bunch of bizarre and unfashionable people, and all of us have wildly differing opinions, but the binding quality we share is <B> A LOVE FOR THE STONES</B>. I see that you share this. So please stay.
J
xx
Earthstepper
Earthstepper
353 posts

Sep 23, 2003, 11:20
Yes of course, Jane. Just posted my pastel of Avebury - would appreciate your criticism - hostile or otherwise. Feedback is always useful. Thanks
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Sep 23, 2003, 11:28
It's lovely ES! I like the smokiness of it, it feels like a misty evening/morning with these huge great chunks of rock cutting through it all. Nice rhythm, too.

I admire pastellists - cos I can't do soft pastels, except for portraiture. They're a piece of piss for that.
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

Loki
Sep 23, 2003, 11:41
It wasn't intended so much as an attack on anybody personally as a charicature that makes obvious something (ie. the anorak) that everyone who visits a lot of these places needs to beware of.

"The grays hope to win. Rainbow needed urgently."
- Subcommandante Marcos of the Zapatistas
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Re: Loki
Sep 23, 2003, 12:11
"It wasn't intended so much as an attack on anybody personally as a charicature that makes obvious something (ie. the anorak) that everyone who visits a lot of these places needs to beware of."

Thought as much, hence my phrase "I'm not sure whether you're criticising".

Certainly spawned a few fascinating debates today that I'd have liked to have been a part of but was offbloodyline grrrrrr!

love

Moth

PS Something in the post 4 U soon - it's eady to send.
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Re: Tombo's weblogs...
Sep 23, 2003, 13:02
"but ultimately all they are are canvas and pigments "

That's like saying that we are just ultimately flesh and blood.

One either feels that things have a soul/energy/lifeforce all of their own, or one doesn't. I usually avoid these discussions at great length because it's causes too much heat with nowhere to go!

I think the 'idea' behind something, especially when it is poetically inspired and/or symbolically aligned with something as fundamentally vast as our rationalising minds letting go and *being* part of the macrocosm...I think that level of inspiration is a magic that speaks down the ages. The rocks at Avebury for instance, they will never be 'just' rocks to me, unless they are taken out of their context and strewn all around, at which point another 'energy' (idea) would be apparent in their placement.

That's my whole 5p worth. :-)
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

yes
Sep 23, 2003, 13:06
I know exactly what you are saying.

Yours,

Morfe

(Forever envious of the life of Andy Goldsworthy)
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Sep 23, 2003, 13:21
I think the main problem is one of semantics. To a scientist "energy" is a measurable, quantifiable thing. When someone uses a term like energy in a factual assertive (and non-metaphorical) way to describe a immeasurable, non-quantifiable concept, then the scientist finds it hard to accept. They would react in the same way to a statement like "stones can bleed".

There is a related word "power", which also has a precise scientific definition and yet also means "capability". Art has the power to affect the emotions, etc. But this is quite different from saying that "art radiates energy".

Now I guess we'll have a discussion about how the imprecision of language is what gives rise to it's richness and it's "power" to elicit emotion.
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Exhibit A
Sep 23, 2003, 13:24
http://www.richardlong.org/
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Exhibit B
Sep 23, 2003, 13:32
http://www.robertsmithson.com/