Re: Exhibit C
Sep 23, 2003, 13:41
http://www.santa-monica.org/cityclerk/council/agendas/1999/s1999092809-A.html
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Exhibit A
Sep 23, 2003, 13:45
I didn't know Richard Long had his own site. Should have known better :-) Thanks.

I've loved his stuff since around '88 when an artschool girlfriend introduced me to his work.

Some great stories about him and his work, none of which I can remember in their entirity.

I do remember him placing a stone in Greenland or Iceland and selling it for a lot of money. The purchaser just got a photo and a certificate and never took possession of the stone itself. That's class!
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Eek!
Sep 23, 2003, 13:46
And he's the other guy I could never remember from those days.

He did a great spiral on a beach somewhere with a JCB. Someone bought it and thetide washed it away. More class!
Earthstepper
Earthstepper
353 posts

Re: Radiating Power
Sep 23, 2003, 13:53
Not getting into semantics at all, but I do have trouble when scientists say they can only recognise the existence of energy that they can measure or quantify. How would an archaeologist have measured the decay of carbon 14 a century ago? It was still there though, slowly ticking away. I don't know if stones radiate energy, but perhaps one day it will be measurable. Is granite not radioactive and a health hazard in parts of Cornwall? Is radiation not energy? Perhaps sensitive human beings can detect low energy emissions for which we do not yet have appropriate scientific measuring devices and so that may be the ONLY reason why we cannot "measure or quantify"
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Sep 23, 2003, 13:59
"How would an archaeologist have measured the decay of carbon 14 a century ago? It was still there though, slowly ticking away."

But no one claimed that they could sense the age of a piece of wood via mystical energies a century ago did they?
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Re: Tombo's weblogs...
Sep 23, 2003, 14:00
Yes, but THEY ARE just rocks, ultimately. It's what WE (as imaginative human beings) bring to the party that gives them meaning, magic and depth.

I believe we are just flesh and blood and electrical impulses and biochemistry after all.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Sep 23, 2003, 14:01
Oh. And I don't doubt that a cluster of certain types of stones could alter the earth's magnetic field in some way and that certain not-insensitive people could perhaps detect that variation.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Sep 23, 2003, 14:03
A Ferrari is just metal, plastic and rubber. Some see beauty in its form, some see something that is greater than the sum of its parts and then some don't.
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Sep 23, 2003, 14:16
All true and all valid.
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Ferrari's and Flesh
Sep 23, 2003, 14:16
I don't buy the sum-total synapse theory, largely because of the resonance I feel about 'who' we are in the landscape, I cannot separate the microcosm from the macrocosm. Call it romantic, but that's more subjective I feel, than the objectivity of us all being individual conscious universes within a larger one, and connected. Consciousness will be argued forever.

I thought we had five senses, maybe six, until I discovered that we have a sense of balance... ;-)
Pages: 18 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index