Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Edited Feb 26, 2020, 18:52
Re: The 80s sucked. Discuss.
Feb 26, 2020, 18:48
machineryelf wrote:
Any decade that has Kate Bush, Nick Cave and Prince in it can't be all bad

Saw some wonderful gigs from Springsteen making Wembley Stadium seem like a pub in Camden to The Violent Femmes make a pub in Camden seem like Wembley
Stadium

The The, Slayer, Waterboys, Metallica, Virgin Prunes, Faith No More, Run DMC, The Blue Nile, Sinead O'Connor, Marillion , Husker Du, Black Flag, Hanoi Rocks, Soft Cell, The Gun Club,Pet Shop Boys, the list goes on, sure there was some dross around, there always is but no more than usual

I forgot about the impact the first wave of thrash bands (Metallica, Slayer and, in my case, Anthrax) had on me from '87 onwards: thanks for reminding me. Sadly, I never shared your admiration for many of the other names you mention. Prince, for example, always left me a bit meh, and I've never understood the acclaim the Pet Shop Boys have held. I do like Marillion, but mostly from the post-80s Hogarth era onwards. Springsteen was indeed great live in the 80s (he still is) but his recorded output for most of that decade epitomises the decline in standards I referenced in my original post, as did that of (and I know many won't agree with this) Kate Bush, whose first three albums remained her best work for me until '50 Words For Snow'. I could, but won't, go on. But hey, horses for courses and all that!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index