27 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Zariadris
Zariadris
286 posts

Edited Feb 22, 2020, 13:32
Re: The 80s sucked. Discuss.
Feb 22, 2020, 12:19
You know, I wouldn't be here today - for better or worse - if it hadn't been for the NWOBHM - Maiden, Saxon, Tygers of Pan Tang, Diamond Head, mid-period Judas Priest, Raven, Venom, Dio, etc, that culminated in the rise of Metallica, Slayer, Trouble, Anthrax, and a host of other acts across the pond. Add to that more idiosyncratic bands like AC/DC and Motorhead - two of the quintessential rock and roll acts of all time, and I'd have to say from a spotty headbangers perspective the 80s were fucking amazing for rock (notwithstanding the L.A. hair metal scene that gave it all a bad name.) Thin Lizzy had a few late period successes too (love Chinatown and Renegade). I dug punk acts like the Dead Kennedys, The Exploited, The Cramps, Meat Puppets, etc., too.

And then, as I grew up a little, I became a Goth - The Cure, Sisters of Mercy, and my beloved Fields of the Nephilim. Not a bad decade for Dub either, with some great releases by Prince Far I before he died in '83, Dub Factor by Black Uhuru, Aswad's A New Chapter in Dub, etc

I waxed lyrical about post-punk 'British Isles Invasion' acts like the Alarm and Big Country some months ago on these boards! Guilty pleasures die hard man.

I rest my (hopeless) case!

EDIT: And WTF would we all be without Spinal Tap?
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index