27 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2601 posts

Edited Feb 21, 2020, 21:42
The 80s sucked. Discuss.
Feb 21, 2020, 21:34
As I look back at nearly 50 years of active listening to the wide gamut of genres falling under the generic category of “popular” music, I can’t help but wonder at how low things fell in the 1980s or, at least, the years from 1982 to 1989.

Nearly every artist I dug in the 70s or before (if they survived) somehow seemed to go on to suck big logs in the following decade. Those that immediately come to mind are names as diverse as Bowie, Hammill, Tull, Tangerine Dream, Pink Floyd, Dylan, John Lydon and Neil Young, though to be fair many of those went on to make fine music again at the end of the 80s or later. There are of course exceptions: our beloved Drude for example, and the very small number of decent acts (The Smiths, the Weddoes, or The Stone Roses) that actually managed to break though the dreck of an otherwise horrible era of big hair, big drums and polyphonic synths. But overall the 1980s were utter bollocks from a rock and roll perspective. In fact, so disillusioned was I with the musical zeitgeist of the time that I immersed myself in classical and jazz, areas which still dominate much of my listening to this day.

All my own opinion of course. Am I alone?
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index