27 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Zariadris
Zariadris
286 posts

Edited Feb 22, 2020, 15:22
Re: The 80s sucked. Discuss.
Feb 22, 2020, 15:13
Another thing...though I know this discussion has to do with rawk 'n' roll, as I share your love of classical music, I should note that the 80s was a stellar decade in that respect. I was going to a music boarding school outside of London in the middle of the decade, studying guitar, and man, London in the 80s was a golden age in classical guitar, with some of the greatest practitioners like the new generation of David Russell, a very young Paul Galbraith, Sharon Isbin, Hubert Kappel, Kazuhito Yamashita (whose incredible solo guitar transcription of Pictures at an Exhibition I witnessed live at the Barbican), etc. rubbing shoulders with the older generation at the height of their powers - Bream, Williams, the Romeros, even a still concertizing Segovia in his 90s. The Wigmore Hall was like the CBGBs of that scene, and especially of the lute revival, with the magical work of Baroque composers like Sylvius Leopold Weiss celebrated after centuries of obscurity. Never will forget a concert there of an orchestra of twenty lutenists: like listening to the sound of something very loud heard very quietly; the din of a distant waterfall.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index