Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited May 23, 2013, 16:50
Re: Revolutionary Suicide
May 23, 2013, 15:07
MARTASE wrote:
A relief really - I'm letting go of all sorts of past addictions/obsessions at the mo so here's another one to wave goodbye to. Hooray!

Have been going through the same thing over the last couple of years. Although it manifests itself as a series of negative reactions it feels wholly progressive. Partly a function of age and partly a reaction to the information onslaught. Memory full! Have to make space for the exceptional.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

May 23, 2013, 18:28
MARTASE wrote:
I share your feelings Ian...and it's quite something for me to not be buying the latest Cope release without question. But YGAPWM was the last of his albums I'd not want to lose (give or take the odd outstanding track)and how long ago was that? Despite all Copey's hype (and I almost fell for it) this latest sounds like the place to stop.

A relief really - I'm letting go of all sorts of past addictions/obsessions at the mo so here's another one to wave goodbye to. Hooray!

You've echoed my thoughts here too. I kind of don't want to miss the covers/photos/poems and stuff, but I haven't really enjoyed a whole album for some time now. Mixed feelings - it'll be bad going to a gig and not recognising songs, but, well...I got the Rave-O-Lution download, which others seem to rate, and haven't really got on with that so...
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

May 23, 2013, 18:53
I was in two minds about getting the last one but finally relented last week, to be honest I really don't like this whole phase and not convinced by the whole revolution thing, probably why it took me so long to buy it, but found it very lacking in depth and that whole thunder/explosion effect must be past it's sell by date by now. I'm hoping this new one will be a bit of a mark up from the last one, might be my last Cope purchase if not. Not much point in buying music I've no interest in.
The Hidden Corner
The Hidden Corner
149 posts

May 23, 2013, 19:23
Oh dear - these early reports don't sound too promising - I ordered mine yesterday and now await arrival with some trepidation. Like others here, while there's usually some good tunes on Copey's post Interpretor albums, the performances, production and mastering can be messy and act as a turnoff. The thunder claps on so many albums are particularly wearisome, but I keep on buying out of loyalty (but rarely give any of these albums more than about 4 plays max or revisit them very often if at all).

I think I already knew what to expect of the new album and this seems to be confirmed by others comments above. But I'll try and listen without prejudice (something I tried to do with the George Micheal album of the same name but still hated it),
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
597 posts

Growing slowly....... Side 2 is having an effect...
May 23, 2013, 21:11
Listened to it on the loop to and from yoga. He does pop (or his take on it) with wit and intelligence. Some of it is reminiscent of Teardrop Explodes.....

Still, with fingers crossed

Peace

Pilgrim

X
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: Growing slowly....... Side 2 is having an effect...
May 23, 2013, 21:27
Pilgrim wrote:
Listened to it on the loop to and from yoga. He does pop (or his take on it) with wit and intelligence. Some of it is reminiscent of Teardrop Explodes.....

Peace

Pilgrim

X

Interesting! More of this and I might get tempted.

What sort of yoga do you do?
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
597 posts

Re: Growing slowly....... Side 2 is having an effect...
May 23, 2013, 21:57
Squid Tempest wrote:
Pilgrim wrote:

Peace

Pilgrim

X

Interesting! More of this and I might get tempted.

What sort of yoga do you do?

Hey Squid,

Bad :)

Nothing major. It's not a particular sort, but a hotch-potch of pain, screams and the trip hop accompaniement of grinding knees, popping ankles, and aching of sundry other joints (the dodgy limbed ones, not the medicinal toke kind...). I'm getting bendier. Been doing it about 4 years now.

I'm going to bung the CD on my nano tomorrow; I have some heavy PowerPoint blather that needs finishing before close of play tomorrow, so I'll need some aural relief. Being a Cope nerd, I have the Rave-O-Lution EP to add to my aural assessment as well...

Peace

Pilgrim

X
mr sulcus
mr sulcus
399 posts

May 23, 2013, 22:43
Had it on while at work today. First impressions are that it starts really well, with some of the best solo Cope songs in ages. I'm sure every release gets that label, but this is pretty good. A lighter atmosphere and some different instrumentation (loving the buzzy synths and the layers of looped sounds) from that previous few records it reminded me most of "Rome...". I think there is some genuinely enjoyable songwriting on there... The bass drum that was mentioned as being out of time didn't bother me that much, I wondered if he was going for a Tom Waits kinda junkyard vibe? And I didn't notice an issue with the production (havent on any album except maybe "...Cained" which was deliberately fuzzy). However, the last two tracks let it down for me, being a modern Cope by numbers mellotron ballad, and a Black Sheep "heathen Industrial" chant-a-thon. Neither unlistenable but both been done before and which jar with the refreshing feel of the previous songs. And the explosion sample wasn't particularly clever the first time. It funny someone mentioned Woden, because that's what I followed it up with - and enjoyed it lots.
Bov
Bov
181 posts

Well I love it.
May 24, 2013, 14:24
Hmm... I've had a first couple of listens this morning and really enjoyed it. But then, I'll always stick up for the current "phase". The home made sound is undeniably an acquired taste, but in many ways it reminds me of the Fried era. Yes the shitty crash cymbals and explosions can grate a bit, but I'd rather have 1 relaxed, flakey home-made Cope album than a hundred slickly produced Bowie ones with all the charm polished out of them. And he does seem to be getting better at layering up the songs with nice instrumentation without wrecking them.

While I thought Gotta Problem was a bit of a weak record, Black Sheep is probably in my top 3 Cope albums, and I really enjoyed Psychedelic Revolution despite it being a slighty weaker set of songs. Rave-o-lution hasn't really grabbed me by the balls yet. Thought it was a bit.... meh.

The new one seems nice though. It's less shouty and in-yer-face than PsyRev. First disk is pastoral and easy-going with three nice long tracks that each have a laid-back groove. That out-of-time bass drum on "Chicken" doesn't bother me at all, it's clearly not like that by accident and I think it's an interesting rhythm.

Second disk is packed with really entertaining tracks. It's got a nice sense of humour and playfulness to it that we haven't seen much of since Interpreter. They Were On Hard Drugs is hilarious.
There are even plenty of hooks to be found. Lots of lush mellotron and acoustic guitars as ever, but this time with some refreshing percussion and squelchy synths that remind me of Thighpaulsandra.

I'd say it's his most light-hearted album in years. Sure, it could use a sympathetic encounter with a mixing desk here and there, but long may he run.
sweetfeed
sweetfeed
105 posts

Re: Well I love it.
May 24, 2013, 16:57
Bov wrote:
Hmm... I've had a first couple of listens this morning and really enjoyed it. But then, I'll always stick up for the current "phase". The home made sound is undeniably an acquired taste, but in many ways it reminds me of the Fried era. Yes the shitty crash cymbals and explosions can grate a bit, but I'd rather have 1 relaxed, flakey home-made Cope album than a hundred slickly produced Bowie ones with all the charm polished out of them. And he does seem to be getting better at layering up the songs with nice instrumentation without wrecking them.

While I thought Gotta Problem was a bit of a weak record, Black Sheep is probably in my top 3 Cope albums, and I really enjoyed Psychedelic Revolution despite it being a slighty weaker set of songs. Rave-o-lution hasn't really grabbed me by the balls yet. Thought it was a bit.... meh.

The new one seems nice though. It's less shouty and in-yer-face than PsyRev. First disk is pastoral and easy-going with three nice long tracks that each have a laid-back groove. That out-of-time bass drum on "Chicken" doesn't bother me at all, it's clearly not like that by accident and I think it's an interesting rhythm.

Second disk is packed with really entertaining tracks. It's got a nice sense of humour and playfulness to it that we haven't seen much of since Interpreter. They Were On Hard Drugs is hilarious.
There are even plenty of hooks to be found. Lots of lush mellotron and acoustic guitars as ever, but this time with some refreshing percussion and squelchy synths that remind me of Thighpaulsandra.

I'd say it's his most light-hearted album in years. Sure, it could use a sympathetic encounter with a mixing desk here and there, but long may he run.

I'm going to listen again with this post in mind. I love the Fried radio sessions with just Julian and his keyboards so I'll approach it like that and see if it makes a difference! The out of time bass drum is obviously by design but it bugged the hell out of me.

Do we know if there are any other musicians on the album? None are credited. It sounds like it might just be Julian - all the drums are loops (I think?) apart from the odd obligatory bass drum wallop.
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index