Unsung Forum »
Revolutionary Suicide

Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
copius-freakus2
221 posts

Re: Revolutionary Suicide
May 22, 2013, 11:18
Mines just arrived. I will be giving it a good listen later!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

May 22, 2013, 12:55
I wonder if this will be in the shops in the flesh-world like the last couple of albums were?
copius-freakus2
221 posts

Edited May 23, 2013, 08:24
May 22, 2013, 13:10
First partial listen there is some good stuff.

Will give it a full listen when I get home tonight
copius-freakus2
221 posts

Edited May 23, 2013, 21:03
May 22, 2013, 20:28
Have been giving this a good listen tonight. Not bad some of the songs I really like Revolutionary Suicide, Paradise Mislaid and In his Cups... The rest are Okay..

It is certainly getting better the more I listen.
sweetfeed
sweetfeed
105 posts

May 22, 2013, 21:29
Erm, well, hmmm.

It's hard to tell after a first listen but I'm reminded of You Gotta Problem With Me to a certain extent. It's got a similar thin sound, use of drum machines, keyboards (lots) etc. The out of time bass drum (it sounds like a loop) on the second song is kind of infuriating.

Raving on the Moor was a great, passionate opening on the last one. This is maybe missing some of that passion in the performances. But half-assed, weedy vocals seems to be Cope's default setting these days, at least on record. I think I just want a bit more energy! Saying that, I enjoyed the rambling nature of They Were On Hard Drugs and Destroy Religion - both songs that sound like something new from Copey.

Again, it's a first listen so I may disagree with the above after a few more listens. The songwriting, rather than the production or the performances, sounds like it might be top notch. I kinda wish fellow Black Sheep David Wrench (y'know, an actual record producer) would produce one of Copey's records.
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
597 posts

May 23, 2013, 08:03
sweetfeed wrote:
Erm, well, hmmm.

Yep. This is my opinion. At first listen, not one of his better offerings. It may grow on me, but it's hardly the sort of thing that I can see him playing in his live set. There's some good lyrics in there, and some catchy choruses, but I'm getting a bit tired of the thunder.

Ah well. There's always Woden.

Peace

Pilgrim

X
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited May 23, 2013, 09:08
May 23, 2013, 08:58
Pilgrim wrote:
sweetfeed wrote:
Erm, well, hmmm.

Yep. This is my opinion. At first listen, not one of his better offerings. It may grow on me, but it's hardly the sort of thing that I can see him playing in his live set. There's some good lyrics in there, and some catchy choruses, but I'm getting a bit tired of the thunder.

Peace

Pilgrim

X

Thanks for the heads up. I always feel I should buy the records regardless in order to support this site / forum but having not heard an album of his I have really liked since CC/DO I am not sure I will bother this time. I have been down the same road with Bill Nelson. How many records with diminishing returns from one artist before you run out of shelf space? Seems the answer in both cases is about 80. Now, when he comes up with something as good as say the Dogntank record ....
MARTASE
MARTASE
602 posts

May 23, 2013, 11:31
I share your feelings Ian...and it's quite something for me to not be buying the latest Cope release without question. But YGAPWM was the last of his albums I'd not want to lose (give or take the odd outstanding track)and how long ago was that? Despite all Copey's hype (and I almost fell for it) this latest sounds like the place to stop.

A relief really - I'm letting go of all sorts of past addictions/obsessions at the mo so here's another one to wave goodbye to. Hooray!
goosebal
goosebal
256 posts

May 23, 2013, 11:47
I know this will be met with significant sighs and groans but is this likely to be on Spotify soon? Maybe around June 17th as that is the date available on Amazon? Psychedelic Revolution is on there so assuming this one might.
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
597 posts

Edited May 23, 2013, 13:17
May 23, 2013, 13:16
IanB wrote:
Pilgrim wrote:
sweetfeed wrote:
Erm, well, hmmm.

Peace

Pilgrim

X

Thanks for the heads up. I always feel I should buy the records regardless in order to support this site / forum but having not heard an album of his I have really liked since CC/DO I am not sure I will bother this time. I have been down the same road with Bill Nelson. How many records with diminishing returns from one artist before you run out of shelf space? Seems the answer in both cases is about 80. Now, when he comes up with something as good as say the Dogntank record ....

No worries. Of course, usual caveats and all that.... these are my impressions (I do a pretty mean Eccles, too).

I buy this stuff partially out of support for the chap himself, and a personal defined attitudinal stance against the crappy drivel that is tagged as "indie" these days (it wears me down that seemingly everyone - barring the wonderful Mr Maconie - in the music business bangs on about how great Copey is, and then tops it off by playing "Reward" or "World Shut Your Mouth").

I think the artwork (esp. the anti-Thatcher bit on the front) is worth the dibble alone, so it will go in my collection (almost complete bar one or two of the "Rite" sequence) and I'll for sure play it some more, and also hope that this still applies:

"I’m an experimental artist, and true experimental art should be rendered obsolete by what comes next."

http://www.uncut.co.uk/julian-cope/an-audience-with-julian-cope-feature

Peace

Pilgrim

X
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index