Unsung Forum »
Revolutionary Suicide

Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Edited May 24, 2013, 17:13
Re: Growing slowly....... Side 2 is having an effect...
May 24, 2013, 17:12
Pilgrim wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
Pilgrim wrote:
Listened to it on the loop to and from yoga. He does pop (or his take on it) with wit and intelligence. Some of it is reminiscent of Teardrop Explodes.....

Still, with fingers crossed

Peace

Pilgrim

X

Interesting! More of this and I might get tempted.

What sort of yoga do you do?

Hey Squid,

Bad :)

Nothing major. It's not a particular sort, but a hotch-potch of pain, screams and the trip hop accompaniement of grinding knees, popping ankles, and aching of sundry other joints (the dodgy limbed ones, not the medicinal toke kind...). I'm getting bendier. Been doing it about 4 years now.

I'm going to bung the CD on my nano tomorrow; I have some heavy PowerPoint blather that needs finishing before close of play tomorrow, so I'll need some aural relief. Being a Cope nerd, I have the Rave-O-Lution EP to add to my aural assessment as well...

Peace

Pilgrim

X

Hah! As you probably know I'm a bit of a fan of the olde bendy stuff. Started doing yoga again about yuletide for the first time in a decade or so, and I'm loving it to bits. Can't understand why I left it so long.

FYI, I used to do a Sivananda-alike style, but my new teacher is more Iyengarish, she calls it flow-yoga. Really enjoying getting the bend back, although it takes longer to do so as you get progressively longer in the teeth I find!
MARTASE
MARTASE
602 posts

Edited May 24, 2013, 17:46
Re: Well I love it.
May 24, 2013, 17:44
GNNNARRGHH! Shut up Bov... I might have to bloody buy it!

Yeah smoking's really great too innit?

:) see earlier post x
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

May 24, 2013, 18:03
I like it too on the first cuppla listens. (For context, I loved 'Black Sheep' - the album - and Psychedelic Revolution & still do, tho others seem to have gone off them.)

love

Moth
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

May 24, 2013, 18:06
MARTASE wrote:
GNNNARRGHH! Shut up Bov... I might have to bloody buy it!

haha! that was my thought too - again!
keith a
9565 posts

May 24, 2013, 19:37
Bov wrote:

Black Sheep is probably in my top 3 Cope albums, and I really enjoyed Psychedelic Revolution despite it being a slighty weaker set of songs.

Yeah, BS is one of my faves, too - definitely one that deserves better than to be lumped in a collection of Cope records that were supposedly made after he stopped being as good as he used to be!

There were a couple of tracks on PS that I was less keen on, and I have issues with some of the imagery, etc, but there were still some great tracks on it so not buying the the new one was never an option for me. Ordered it the other day and really looking forward to it.

Listening to Rave-O-Lution for the first time right now. Quite enjoying it to be fair.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited May 25, 2013, 18:42
Re: Revolutionary Suicide
May 24, 2013, 19:44
Pilgrim wrote:

"I’m an experimental artist, and true experimental art should be rendered obsolete by what comes next."

I have spent a fair bit of listening time the last six years trying to unlock these Problem/Black Sheep era Cope records.

Over the same period I have hardly played anything from the back catalogue apart from a few spins of Jehovahkill and Odin. Every time I think of playing him I reach for one of the new ones. And that's how they have come to be a distraction from other better things. At 21 or 31 or even 41 I wouldn't have cared. At 51? Fuck me listening time feels so much more precious.

A lot of the recent Copes have an oh-this-will-do slapdash feel to them and Kings of the Wild Frontier has as much to say politically. There is nothing much there that has stuck with me over time or even made me laugh on a second listen. And the metaphysics have gone (for a long walk) west too. Not that I expect any kind of new ground to be broken in rock n roll but I want more - more than this at any rate - if it is going to take me away from other things. So there's my problem with these records in a nutshell - there is nothing experimental about them and at the same time the quality of writing, playing, tunesmithery and production is all fairly C+ too. I don't "do" lo-fi except when a function of poverty. I think that, as rock aesthetics go, lo-fi as a style represents a major cop-out. Just like rock co-opting the sounds of the avant garde, it's often a veil over weak ideas.

Listen to anything from the last six years next to World War Pigs or Crying Shame and I think it is fair to say that there has been a shift in the benchmark and it hasn't been for the better. Pamphleteering at best.
keith a
9565 posts

May 26, 2013, 10:42
IanB wrote:
Pilgrim wrote:

"I’m an experimental artist, and true experimental art should be rendered obsolete by what comes next."

I have spent a fair bit of listening time the last six years trying to unlock these Problem/Black Sheep era Cope records.

Over the same period I have hardly played anything from the back catalogue apart from a few spins of Jehovahkill and Odin. Every time I think of playing him I reach for one of the new ones. And that's how they have come to be a distraction from other better things. At 21 or 31 or even 41 I wouldn't have cared. At 51? Fuck me listening time feels so much more precious.

A lot of the recent Copes have an oh-this-will-do slapdash feel to them and Kings of the Wild Frontier has as much to say politically. There is nothing much there that has stuck with me over time or even made me laugh on a second listen. And the metaphysics have gone (for a long walk) west too. Not that I expect any kind of new ground to be broken in rock n roll but I want more - more than this at any rate - if it is going to take me away from other things. So there's my problem with these records in a nutshell - there is nothing experimental about them and at the same time the quality of writing, playing, tunesmithery and production is all fairly C+ too. I don't "do" lo-fi except when a function of poverty. I think that, as rock aesthetics go, lo-fi as a style represents a major cop-out. Just like rock co-opting the sounds of the avant garde, it's often a veil over weak ideas.

Listen to anything from the last six years next to World War Pigs or Crying Shame and I think it is fair to say that there has been a shift in the benchmark and it hasn't been for the better. Pamphleteering at best.

As a general rule I think all Cope's 'proper' (the song ones, under his own name) from Rome... onwards sound better when you go back to them a year or so after their release. With the exception of Black Sheep which I thought was, for the most part, stunning pretty much from day one.
Carlos
Carlos
3884 posts

Edited May 27, 2013, 19:28
May 27, 2013, 19:25
Sorry to say but it's a poor record, imho. Firt listen and the feeling is that Julian Cope's new album is not my cup of tea. No great tunes, no ideas, nothing to admire. I'm very disappointed...

I hope it'll be a grower but I don't thing so to be honest.
The Hidden Corner
The Hidden Corner
149 posts

May 27, 2013, 19:46
Still awaiting arrival of my copy - hoping I'll enjoy but not holding out too much hope.
kiddrahcir
kiddrahcir
51 posts

May 27, 2013, 21:53
After reading all of the above comments i wasn't expecting a lot, however for what its worth i think its really really good. Some really catchy tunes and really funny moments. Some classic cope noises, the only downside being the entire family including my ten year old and six year old cant now say the word mexico without following it with the word Drugs!
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index