Pages: 18 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
sencha
sencha
91 posts

Re: The Monkees ?
Oct 29, 2010, 07:17
dodge one wrote:
And who's next for the revisionist assesment?
The Bannana Splits? The Archies? Josie and the PussyCats?

The Impossibles
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Oct 29, 2010, 07:28
zphage wrote:
IanB wrote:
[quote="dodge one"]Perhaps the most spectacular examples of new light being shed on a band are Led Zep in the late 80s and Queen in the last decade or so. LZ were considered to be representative of the worst excesses of pre-Punk rock n roll and then suddenly they weren't. Queen were largely despsied by hispters from the release of Bohemian Rhapsody onwards (if not before) but they too are now considered perfectly ok. As with Page and Co all it took was a few contemporary artists to start name-checking them and hey presto they're hip again. Even Prog has made a small comeback from the shadows (praise be) off the back of Radiohead, Elbow, Labradford and many others.

As time goes on and mainstream contemporary rock gets shittier and shittier we are all looking in dusty cupboards for things that are not of the avant garde and might still turn us on or have been over-looked in some way. Whether it is the Zombies, Badfinger, Creation or PFM we're all after new sounds that crank old handles and I can see how The Monkees records, whoever made them, could fit into that.

some good points

Zep has always a huge following in the US, they never really fell out of favor, just went from strength to strength currently at 111.5 million in US sales.

Queen, however, experienced the loss of their fanbase in the US:

'80 The Game went platinum, '82 Hot Space and '84 Works each fell to gold,

that's up to 500k unit drop off for each, at that time

'86 Kind of Magic only went gold in 2002, it took 6 years

'89 Miracle has not gone gold

total of 32.5 million units

Many bands have benefitted from reassessment via the GenXers and millenials as Dog's post shows.

The tunage is there and the lines that once divided are lost as the quality of current music drops.

in the US,

Tim Buckley
Gram Parsons
Beach Boys
Scott Walker
Nick Drake
Monkees
Abba
T.Rex
have benefitted from rediscovery/reassessment

there has always been a strong line of division between pop (AM Radio) and rock (FM Radio) in the US, with the demise of AM radio top 40 and FM free form, and the advent of two new generations influenced by '77 punk the lines have dropped away.

Good list and America is definitely another country when it comes to these things, as is Europe where artists often seem to be able to keep their audiences over a much longer haul.

I think there has to be a division between acts that were ignored or were cult level artists in their time (Buckley, Drake and Parsons too to some extent) and bands that were ridiculed by hipsters for some or all of their career partly because of their success and their ubiquity and their lack of edge (Beach Boys, Monkees, Abba)*.

Because of the "churn" in pop and rock that keeps it culturally fresh bands that got lost in the shuffle are exhumed all the time and Nick Drake is a great example considering I think he sold considerably fewer than than 20,000 records in his lifetime.

The interesting ones are where a band is nowhere on the hipness barometer and then get rehabilitated. On a small scale you can see it on HH with the likes of Kiss, Grand Funk, BOC. It takes a maven like Cope to sew the seed of course.

The next big revival from the realm of guilty pleasures? In recessionary times? Please God let it not be Rockabilly or Country.

*Not sure where Scott Walker fits in into that division.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Re: The Monkees !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oct 29, 2010, 07:48
Thanks for the fantastic post and links!
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Oct 29, 2010, 07:49
Got a couple Gram Parsons cdes, do like them. Am utterly loving 500 Miles to Memphis, in the sort of style (but a bit punk)

All My Friends Are Crazy
Sunshine In A Shotglass
The Regret (this one is awesome!)
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Oct 29, 2010, 08:12
Oct 29, 2010, 08:12
Sin Agog wrote:

Even the chart music isn't all that bad if you sit back, relax- stop squirming!- and just listen with open ears.

I don't squirm, Sin! I merely thrash about like a freshly caught Sea Bass on a car bonnet in Dubai.

;-)
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Oct 29, 2010, 08:29
dodge one wrote:
And who's next for the revisionist assesment?
The Bannana Splits? The Archies? Josie and the PussyCats?

Can someone help me if my memory's failing but there's some cracking stuff on the Banana Splits soundtrack and (this is the bit I need confirmation) didn't Barry White write some of their stuff and The Blues Project play most of the music?
Cracking fuzz/garage soul - check em out on YouTube
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Oct 29, 2010, 08:39
You're right there!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Oct 29, 2010, 08:53
dodge one wrote:
SeaCat, you can do whatever you want.
I personally don't really care if you spend every waking moment here.
On the other hand though, my comment directed at Squid was directed at HIM only. In context.
The context being, that it seems to me Squid, somehow, MIRACULOUSLY, is RIGHT FUCKING THERE....every time i post !!
Usally within moments too !!
Usally with some lame self righteous reply that reads to me like a cry for attention.
It's just astonishing how he is ALLWAYS there....
Just for me.
Ready to pounce with a lame reply.
Thats the context.
NOTHING to do with you.
Mutual Respect goes a long way with me.

First I'm ascerbic, then I'm self-righteous, now I'm some kind of cyberstalker??? FFS. I don't know whether to laugh or be offended. Better get a grip on that paranoia Dodge.
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Edited Oct 29, 2010, 09:15
Oct 29, 2010, 09:15
Boring? D1 is a no nonsense iconaclast full of ballsy attitude, ready to shake things up, he don't follow no trends or leaders like his hero Johnny, if we can't handle it we should let go of our mother's hands and listen to what a real man says, yee-haa!

How does he shake things up? By fucking ruining a website with his tedious booorrriiinnngggg drivel. Amen!

Now show hime some respect 'cos he surely deserves it.
x
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Oct 29, 2010, 09:15
To be honest Squid, that whole bizarre episode and behaviour from Dodge was quite baffling and upsetting really. I don't get it. He seems to have some sort of agenda when he comes on to a thread. What's all this 'telling it like it' is business ? Telling 'what' exactly, and why the need anyway ?
He started having a go at me and then taking the piss when I had merely pointed out that I thought he was being unreasonable. Ah well,life's too short for this...
Pages: 18 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ] This topic is locked

Unsung Forum Index