Pages: 18 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: The Monkees ?
Oct 28, 2010, 16:46
Squid Tempest wrote:

What is wrong with people re-assessing the past? Sometimes cultural associations and myths lead to incorrect assumptions. I know, for example, that I hated Japan because I met them in their early days and they were rude, so I never took their music seriously. It was only years later after much prodding from a big Japan fan that I re-listened and realised I liked what I heard. We all make mistakes.

And this is re-assessment I think, rather than revisionism. It matters not a jot whether you were born or not then - I was born then, and old enough to remember the big Beatles/Monkees rivalry between young fans at the time over here in the UK. That dosn't mean things can't be re-assesed. To say anything else smacks of snobbery to me.

Would tend to agree since we're not living at the time and there are somewhat reliable sources around for setting the scene that whatever music was made in if one's interested in that side of things.
But the validity of music would surely have to be something that was a lot more timeless. It's whether or not it speaks to one's current context and own past associations that make it live far more than what it meant at the time.

The better material is likely to cross the barrier of time I'd think, though so often the cheesier stuff does too to some extent.

Stevo
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Oct 28, 2010, 17:03
Oct 28, 2010, 17:03
Stevo wrote:

.... the validity of music would surely have to be something that was a lot more timeless. It's whether or not it speaks to one's current context and own past associations that make it live far more than what it meant at the time.

Stevo

Like the man said!
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Oct 28, 2010, 17:46
Oct 28, 2010, 17:46
Even your response to me is aggressive. Why, and further more, WHY?!
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Oct 28, 2010, 18:13
My Paisley patterned flying carpet is broken down this week.
Someone dumped some mango chutney down its gas tank.
The Patchouli stink coming out of the tailpipe is UNBELIEVABLE.
Even the radio that plays nothing but Donovan is not working.
You can see how that could rankle....surely?
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 29, 2010, 09:22
Oct 28, 2010, 18:14
dodge one wrote:
And who's next for the revisionist assesment?
The Bannana Splits? The Archies? Josie and the PussyCats?

It's not so much revisionism I don't think, it is the nature of the beast. Pop is a fickle mistress.

I think it is not unfair to say that British rock audiences are much less hung up on authenticity than their American equivalents. We're also less bothered by issues of authorial clarity which explains why rock culture has absorbed far more from dance music here than American artists have. If it sounds rockin in the moment then all is good. It means we have a lot of very short term enthusiasms for one-trick acts but the cultural barriers between genres are long since kicked down. Especially between "pop" and "rock". We can largely thank the Buzzcocks for that I think.

Even Take That have enjoyed a reassessment here in recent years and they are not even close to being anyone's idea of vintage. Robbie Wiliams at his peak was certainly considered to be no less "real" by mass audiences than say Oasis or Blur. It's all popular entertainment and it either cranks your handle or it doesn't.

Perhaps the most spectacular examples of new light being shed on a band are Led Zep in the late 80s and Queen in the last decade or so. LZ were considered to be representative of the worst excesses of pre-Punk rock n roll and then suddenly they weren't. Queen were largely despsied by hispters from the release of Bohemian Rhapsody onwards (if not before) but they too are now considered perfectly ok. As with Page and Co all it took was a few contemporary artists to start name-checking them and hey presto they're hip again. Even Prog has made a small comeback from the shadows (praise be) off the back of Radiohead, Elbow, Labradford and many others.

As time goes on and mainstream contemporary rock gets shittier and shittier we are all looking in dusty cupboards for things that are not of the avant garde and might still turn us on or have been over-looked in some way. Whether it is the Zombies, Badfinger, Creation or PFM we're all after new sounds that crank old handles and I can see how The Monkees records, whoever made them, could fit into that.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Oct 28, 2010, 18:15
The least I can say is that at least the Monkees' songs had real guitars and drums on them and that's more than I can say for today's autotune-laden pop.
ToneStone
ToneStone
1768 posts

Oct 28, 2010, 18:17
Supernatural? Perhaps. Baloney? Perhaps Not.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Oct 28, 2010, 18:23
dodge one wrote:
My Paisley patterned flying carpet is broken down this week.
Someone dumped some mango chutney down its gas tank.
The Patchouli stink coming out of the tailpipe is UNBELIEVABLE.
Even the radio that plays nothing but Donovan is not working.
You can see how that could rankle....surely?

You really are a quite an unpleasant and a purposely aggressive individual, aren't you?
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Oct 28, 2010, 18:24
I simply reflect the world around me.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Oct 28, 2010, 18:24
My thoughts entirely Tone.