Pages: 18 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Oct 29, 2010, 12:53
Re: The Monkees ?
Oct 29, 2010, 11:53
Stevo wrote:
EMO-tional hardcore as pioneered by ex Minor Threat group Embrace hence link to D.C. scene. But back then it hadn't been progressively watered down.

Think they tend to wear ant jackets and eye liner. So definitely look like a mutation of goth.

stevo

I think the music itself is very different from goth (although no better) but I agree that by and large it appeals to ther same demographic that would have been goths in the mid-late 80s. Teenagers who are too smart and sensitive to be chavs (or casuals as we would have called tham back in my day), basically. I don't have a problem with folk strarting out by liking emo if it eventually leads them on to more adventurous stuff by association, though.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Oct 29, 2010, 11:57
IanB wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
Thanks Stevo. I understood the bit about the eye liner and jackets!

edit: er.. ant jackets ?

Adam Ant channeled by My Chemical Romance.

The classic EMO cliche in British comedy is the "Keanu Reeves" character in Saxondale. The long sideswept fringe of dyed black hair, the Wasted Youth belt, the skinny jeans etc etc - all EMO cliches. The whole Scott Pilgrim movie is also fairly EMO and the hardcore meets power pop soundtrrack is not untypical of the music.

I'd have thought the Smashing Pumpkins would have been partly responsible for MCR as they kind of fit the bill. And they weren't Goths.

Now I know who you mean! I've seen them languishing near the escalators next to BHS. I'll take them some Mingus, poor souls.
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Oct 29, 2010, 11:59
I agree, but I wish they'd stop vomiting in Chatham Library. Or learn how to drink.

x
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Oct 29, 2010, 12:00
They need Jazzing, obviously.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Oct 29, 2010, 12:43
The Sea Cat wrote:

Well given the amount of "my lover done me wrong" songwriting in EMO-ville it's only a short step from there to Billie, Nina et al.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Oct 29, 2010, 12:50
Oct 29, 2010, 12:50
IanB wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:

Well given the amount of "my lover done me wrong" songwriting in EMO-ville it's only a short step from there to Billie, Nina et al.

I was thinking more along the lines of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgrQhBTDfhk

Give 'em something to work with!
Pagan Dawn
Pagan Dawn
65 posts

Oct 29, 2010, 13:57
I'd say he has some sort of mental illness*. Possibly PTSD. Maybe allowances should be made. He probably doesn't mean what he says, he just can't help it. A nice "yes, dear" reply to any of his argumentative posts, if you really need to respond at all, should suffice. He may calm down seeing as he's been given nothing to bite back at with even more venom than before.

Yours,

Dr NotPaganDawn(Psycho)

xx =)

*either that or he really is just a complete tosser.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Oct 29, 2010, 23:05
Oct 29, 2010, 14:39
Pagan Dawn wrote:
I'd say he has some sort of mental illness*. Possibly PTSD.
Yours,

Dr NotPaganDawn(Psycho)

xx =)

This has occurred to me too, only I thought it might be bipolar disorder.
Certainly seems to have some of the symptoms - incorrigible belief that he's always right and everyone else is wrong, blatantly self-aggrandising diosposition and aggressive behaviour when anyone confronts him alternated with a period when he disappeared off the forum for several months (due to a crash back into the depressive phase, perhaps?!).
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Oct 29, 2010, 15:14
The Sea Cat wrote:
Well, I've just reserved The Defintive Monkees remastered 2 Cd set from the library, which I'll pick up this afternoon, (it seems pretty comprehensive and with bonus rarities as well), and I've ordered Head DVD/CD from Amazon. Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and contributions!

Id I might make one further suggestion ... the first CD is great, but the second is VERY spotty (consisdering it's mostly leftovers), but there are half a dozen or so gems on there if you give it a little time - so best not to expect wall-toi-wall greatness on disc 2.
keith a
9573 posts

Oct 29, 2010, 15:14
Popel Vooje wrote:

Certainly seems to have some of the symptoms - incorrigible belief that he's always right and everyone else is wrong

That description could be of any number of us here!
Pages: 18 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ] This topic is locked

Unsung Forum Index