Pages: 18 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: The Monkees ?
Oct 29, 2010, 09:25
The Sea Cat wrote:
To be honest Squid, that whole bizarre episode and behaviour from Dodge was quite baffling and upsetting really. I don't get it. He seems to have some sort of agenda when he comes on to a thread. What's all this 'telling it like it' is business ? Telling 'what' exactly, and why the need anyway ?
He started having a go at me and then taking the piss when I had merely pointed out that I thought he was being unreasonable. Ah well,life's too short for this...

Quite agree my friend. I find it all a bit upsetting too, TBH. I normally really enjoy discussing music on here, but when this sort of thing happens it leaves a distinctly sour taste.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 29, 2010, 09:35
Oct 29, 2010, 09:29
Sin Agog wrote:
I'm not sure I'm gonna just sit back and nod along to comments about how current music is getting worse and worse.

Today's kids have better taste than ever. I bet children are weirding their muso parents out the world over with their internet-schooling. Everytime I'm playing something like Caetano Veloso at the shop I work at, some kid comes up to the counter knowing exactly what it is. No way in hell would that have happened ten years ago. And most of the crowd at gigs I've seen recently like Throbbing Gristle and Daniel Johnston have been around sixteen/seventeen.

A lot of this is true. The clued in kids are more clued in than ever. They also have the attention spans of gnats. They have one week enthusiasms. You know the kind of thing - download 20 Sun Ra albums listen to nothing else for a few days and then move on Fela or Hendrix or something. And I think you are observing the make-up of minority audiences at minority shows. Meanwhile 30 Seconds To Mars and suchlike are selling out the O2.

Pop is not in bad shape but for me the mainstream of Rock is worse than it has ever been in my active listening lifetime (essentially 71 to date) and a lot of new UK acts that get the second-coming treatment from NME and Kerrang are not much edgier than McFly when they are doing their charming Cheap Trick / Rubinoos Power Pop thing. It's that whole tuneful, sunnyside-up variation on EMO. And I thought Linkin Park were bad! No wonder the smarter kids are looking to the fringes of old school outsider rock for their thrills but they are a minority. The days when my now 19 year old daughter was obsessed with Placebo seem like a golden era now and her kid sister has to wade through some serious crap to get to anything good. The likes of Muse are so bland it just makes me chortle that they are considered to have edge.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Oct 29, 2010, 09:37
Serious question: what on earth is EMO ?
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Oct 29, 2010, 10:12
Oct 29, 2010, 10:12
Well, I've just reserved The Defintive Monkees remastered 2 Cd set from the library, which I'll pick up this afternoon, (it seems pretty comprehensive and with bonus rarities as well), and I've ordered Head DVD/CD from Amazon. Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and contributions!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 29, 2010, 10:28
Oct 29, 2010, 10:24
The Sea Cat wrote:

How long have you got? V broad church but it is defined by snobs and haters as being the young cousin of 80s Goth. Though that is only half the story as it is, from what I see, as much a cultural and social thing as a musical genre and owes a fair bit to the Washington Punk scene culturally. Though belongs to a much more melodic lineage than that in indie rock terms. Some Cure and SoM influences but not dominant.

Also see Screamo and Emcore!
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Oct 29, 2010, 10:30
Oct 29, 2010, 10:30
IanB wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:

How long have you got. V broad church but it is defined by haters as being the young cousin of 80s Goth. Though that is only half the story as it is, from what I see, as much a cultural and social thing as a musical genre and owes a fair bit to the Wahington Punk scene culturally. Though belongs to a much more melodic lineage than that in indie rock terms.

Also see Screamo and Emcore!

I love Dead Can Dance, This Mortal Coil and The Cocteaus but that's as far as anything remotely goth-ish for me. I've absolutely no frame of reference re. Washington Punk scene (?) but I suspect that it's probably not for me.
Why is it called EMO ? Screamcore and Emcore sound rather dull, surly and pimply to me, whatever they are.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Oct 29, 2010, 10:42
EMO-tional hardcore as pioneered by ex Minor Threat group Embrace hence link to D.C. scene. But back then it hadn't been progressively watered down.

Think they tend to wear ant jackets and eye liner. So definitely look like a mutation of goth.

stevo
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Oct 29, 2010, 10:53
Oct 29, 2010, 10:47
Thanks Stevo. I understood the bit about the eye liner and jackets!

edit: er.. ant jackets ?
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Oct 29, 2010, 11:49
The Sea Cat wrote:

It's the Buzzcocks and Husker Du with their gonads removed and their rough edges smoothed to the point of blandness, essentially.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 29, 2010, 11:53
Oct 29, 2010, 11:52
The Sea Cat wrote:
Thanks Stevo. I understood the bit about the eye liner and jackets!

edit: er.. ant jackets ?

Adam Ant channeled by My Chemical Romance.

The classic EMO cliche in British comedy is the "Keanu Reeves" character in Saxondale. The long sideswept fringe of dyed black hair, the Wasted Youth belt, the skinny jeans etc etc - all EMO cliches. The whole Scott Pilgrim movie is also fairly EMO and the hardcore meets power pop soundtrrack is not untypical of the music.

I'd have thought the Smashing Pumpkins would have been partly responsible for MCR as they kind of fit the bill. And they weren't Goths.
Pages: 18 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] This topic is locked

Unsung Forum Index