This topic is locked

Pages: 18 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Re: The Monkees ?
Oct 28, 2010, 11:45
flashbackcaruso wrote:
Micky wasn't really a songwriter, meaning the ones he penned were sometimes stunningly original (e.g. 'Randy Scouse Git').

I now find myself whistling Randy Scouse Git. Thank you fbc. Thank you.
Lubin
Lubin
509 posts

Oct 28, 2010, 14:02
embryonomore wrote:
I agree with what most have said here. Headquarters onwards definitely worth checking out.

Also Nesmiths early solo stuff.

The early Monkees stuff is pretty cool too, and anything with Carol Kaye and co playing is gonna be great by default.

I'm in agreement with the Nesmith stuff. Pretty Much Your Standard Ranch Stash and And the hits Just Keep On Comin' being my favourites. I also had the good fortune to see him live a few times in the 70s all the concerts were very good if a bit wierd. His between song banter was definitely off the wall and in one concert we were not aloud to applaude as he said the fact we were there was enough gratification. Another one worth checking if still available is The Prison an album with a book which you read while listening. It takes some doing as you can't work out which to concentrate on.

Peace , Lubin

P
Monolith Cocktail
173 posts

Oct 28, 2010, 14:48
Head is probably their seminal work, whilst Nesmith's contributions on throughout their back catalouge remains the best examples.

Nesmith was quite a pioneer in his day, being one of the first country-rock artists. His solo work is all quality, with 'Tantamount To Treason Vol.1' being highly recommended.

Dom Valvona
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Oct 28, 2010, 15:05
Thanks. 'Head' does interest me the most and I've ordered both the album and the DVD from Amzon as I've never seen it, bizarrely. I'm also going to rent a good comp from the library as well.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Oct 28, 2010, 15:50
Harry Nillson, Neil Diamond and Paul Williams were the 'REAL' Monkees....amongst many other writers and studio musicians.
I think its funny that the Monkees are getting the REVISIONIST assesment nowadays by folks who were'nt even born yet during there tenure.
Like the boy bands of the modern era, a TV fabrication that took it self too seriously.
Light hearted POP if nothing else played by real'crack' L.A. studio musicians in the majority.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Oct 28, 2010, 15:55
And who's next for the revisionist assesment?
The Bannana Splits? The Archies? Josie and the PussyCats?
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Oct 28, 2010, 16:04
That's why I posted. I know the of songwriters involved, the other musicians ( The Wrecking Crew? Awesome!), but I wanted to get, and did, a wider perspective on them as a collective entity, re. their own personal involvement/creative achievements, which I do know frustrated Peter Tork and Mike Nesmith from the very beginning, being actual bona fide musicians. From what I have read/herad so far, I definitely think there's a lot worth checking out. Stepehen Stills recommended Tork for the gig after he himself had been rejected due to 'wonky teeth and a bad haircut' (sic)! I remember them very well on TV in the early-mid 70s, and like the majority of HHers, I think I have enough of an age closeness to get the effect. Also, age dosen't come into it really, does it, for the serious music head. The cultural information re. any period/genre is there to be unearthed and dug, if you are so inclined. I do think the modern world would be infintely more palatable if current modern boy bands were 1/10th of the same quality!
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Oct 28, 2010, 16:05
See my other response.

Om Shanti

:-)
flashbackcaruso
1050 posts

Oct 28, 2010, 16:06
That is only really true of their first two albums, which despite being mostly produced on their behalf by studio professionals are pretty lightweight on the whole. Third album, Headquarters, saw them trying to be a self-contained band for the first time, and as a result has some amateurish moments but many highlights. Fourth album Pisces Aquarius Capricorn & Jones Ltd is a compromise between doing it themselves and working with session musicians again and is a more solid set. After that they each went off in their own direction, self-producing a huge array of essentially solo material that would then get picked from for Monkees albums. So, yes, they did start out as an entirely manufactured band, but the paths they subsequently took (notably Nesmith's pioneering fusion of country and rock) are so interesting that the 'revisionism' is wholly justified.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Oct 28, 2010, 16:07
I can certainly agree with that last sentence S.C.
I'm certainly not gonna lay out for any more Monkees material than has already weedled itself into my archive.
Than again....most just download shit anyhow....shrugs shoulders.....
Pages: 18 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] This topic is locked

Unsung Forum Index