Re: Silbury updates
Jul 01, 2007, 16:10
eh
slumpystones
769 posts

Jul 01, 2007, 16:17
Toxic Delerium wrote:
i may be a Scouser , but i'm not a car thief. Only Radios. Only joking.

You must have got that computer from somewhere!
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jul 01, 2007, 16:18
Normal service will be resumed when you've all finished your Sunday dinners, and have had time to reflect on what's really important here.

The Boss ;-)
slumpystones
769 posts

Jul 01, 2007, 16:24
Toxic Delerium wrote:
i gotta be honest. I dont wanna argue with people i thought shared a love of all things ancient and interesting . I understand your love, and i DO understand your concerns.
Lets lose the eliteism , and i'm sure we can all get along fine.

Nobody is trying to be elistist. It's just frustrating that the nearest village seems to have undue influence over English Heritage. We all know how much you'd love your kids to have a TC in the hill, but there are some good decisions that are made by the wrong person for the wrong reasons, and this is one of them.

On the surface it sounds good, and I would have no objection to Avebury School being commemorated with a time capsule in Avebury, under the headmaster's desk or something, but the current plans are just plain wrong.

And I'm astounded that nobody at EH actually understands why people are so bloody upset!
Robert Carr
84 posts

Re: Time Capsules?
Jul 02, 2007, 06:39
slumpystones wrote:
Robert Carr wrote:
slumpystones wrote:
Robert Carr wrote:
slumpystones wrote:
Anyone can create a search phrase and get thousands of response pages. I bet paedophilia gets a good few, but I doubt that you support that too?

uh...?

support...? paedophilia...?

sorry I'm lost...

Maybe you should stick to sarcastic remarks then.

You quoted a search term in Google to support your argument, and I proved how worthless it all is.

Try to keep up lad...

Just trying to keep up with why you brought up the subject of 'paedophilia'? That along with the extensive discussion by you and your chums about the activities of school children leaves me a little boggled!

Subsitute it for another term that is equally unwanted - how about terrorism? Just because you'll get in excess of a million hits for it doesn't make it right, or the accepted way to behave. According to your criteria, getting 24,000 results for antlers deliberately placed in ancient monuments is proof that they all were. I'm trying to show that Google search results prove nothing.

Still lost I'm afraid. Sorry slumps, I am a liitle slow and a little thick (compared to you anyway).

Can you say that all again reaaallly slooowly?
Toxic Delerium
17 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 08:36
I would like to make a few things clear if I may with regard to recent postings. Please read what I have to say.
The Time Capsule is not intended to commemorate the school or its pupils. The children were asked to discuss objects to be placed in it that they thought appropriate to give future generations an insight into life today; not school life, but life in 2007. The school or the village of Avebury have NO influence on English Heritage and anyone who thinks otherwise is being stupid.As the school is right in the middle of this particular World Heritage site it probably seemed appropriate to include the youth of the village in what is an exciting project.
Silbury Hill is being restored in the hope of ensuring it lasts another 4000 years. Ok it may not be being done to everyones exact specifications or standards but it is a positive move and done with the best of intentions.
If you want to "save" somewhere from total destruction do something about Tara before the Irish government bulldoze it and it vanishes forever.
My husband got worked up and at times quite rude yesterday with some of his postings, and yes his reactions were emotional.He did what he thought was right, he stood up loudly and proudly in support of his family.
We all have an opinion; something we feel passionately about but some of you on here make it so hard for others of us to want to post. I came on to share with you what was for me a wonderful day. I thought you may have understood my passion and enthusiasm, but no I was wrong. Because your opinions differ from mine all I felt was hostility. Not one person said " glad that you enjoyed the experience.......however ....."
You may think your attitudes are tolerant to others but they really aren't; anyone who dares say something slightly out of tune with the "big" posters is jumped on straight away. Please listen . I can feel the tuts of disagreement from you already.You may not mean to be hostile, aloof, or dismisive of others but you are. Unless you post on here 24/7 you are made to feel like an outsider whose opinion is neiter wanted, needed or valued.
This is not here to cause offence; merely to point out that perhaps we should all take stock and yes, remmember what is important here.............everyone's opinion; and regardless of what it is we should all respect that.

Scousemaiden xxx
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 08:38
love on ya Scousemaiden

fitz xxxx
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 09:24
That was beautifully put Scousemaiden.
Moss x
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 09:50
Well I'm sorry but having re-read what I posted http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/forum/?thread=41033&message=522427
I can't see a single thing wrong with it and am completely in the dark why it should have prompted anyone to call me a bullshit pseudo intellectual tosser.
Whilst I didn't rise to the bait that doesn't mean I have to pretend I think I've done anything wrong when I haven't.
Rockrich
Rockrich
448 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 10:49
Wonderfully put, & I agree with you 100%... well almost (I have certain issues with the TC)

I don’t visit TMA as often as I used to, for the reasons you mention, got rather sick of certain individuals egocentric & supercilious attitudes ruling the roost. So much so, I’ve got to the point where I can’t really be bothered submitting new sites & pictures (probably about 100 in total).
Pages: 67 – [ Previous | 138 39 40 41 42 43 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index