Silbury updates
This topic is locked

Pages: 67 – [ Previous | 139 40 41 42 43 44 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: Silbury updates
Jul 02, 2007, 11:01
But Rockrich, you shouldn't let yourself be put off. Most of the big posters on the forum don't post many pictures / fieldnotes anyway. And people Out There usually come to the website through looking for information on a particular place. Wot you might have posted. so I say post your nice pictures and don't read forum posts if they wind you up. please.
slumpystones
769 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 11:35
Toxic Delerium wrote:
The school or the village of Avebury have NO influence on English Heritage and anyone who thinks otherwise is being stupid.

Stupid? Misled maybe, but not stupid.

Toxic Delerium wrote:
My husband got worked up and at times quite rude yesterday with some of his postings, and yes his reactions were emotional.He did what he thought was right, he stood up loudly and proudly in support of his family.

No need to defend the family when the family was not being attacked. The whole argument is directed at EH's decision to put this thing inside Silbury.

Toxic Delerium wrote:
This is not here to cause offence

Calling people stupid is not a good start!

Toxic Delerium wrote:
remember what is important here.............everyone's opinion; and regardless of what it is we should all respect that.

Scousemaiden xxx

I totally agree. However, there is obvious bias here, with the parents not wanting their children to be disappointed on one hand, and others who are only concerned with protecting the integrity of the hill.

The main concern, I think, is that this sets a dangerous precedent, one that EH will have to deal with in the future when other groups insist on putting their own version of a TC inside somewhere else. Passions do run high, especially when EH's reply to "What on Earth do you think you're doing?" is media spin, deflecting the real argument elsewhere and not explaining their basis for this decision.

As I've said before, Time Capsules have their place, and inside Silbury Hill is not it.
Rockrich
Rockrich
448 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 11:36
Rhiannon wrote:
But Rockrich, you shouldn't let yourself be put off. Most of the big posters on the forum don't post many pictures / fieldnotes anyway. And people Out There usually come to the website through looking for information on a particular place. Wot you might have posted. so I say post your nice pictures and don't read forum posts if they wind you up. please.

I've tried, but it's like I'm addicted to being frustrated by the egomaniacs when popping in... just can't help looking.... must be weaked willed or a masochist :-)
Mustard
1043 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 11:47
Mustard wrote:
Apologies if this has already been explained, but it's a long thread.....

I personally dislike the idea of leaving a time capsule in Silbury Hill, but is there any problem with it from a strictly archaeological perspective? What's the informed basis for objecting to it?

Anyone?
scubi63
463 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 11:53
In the words of the great and the wise.
"This is not an argument it is contradiction" for the full (half hour) version see
http://www.davidpbrown.co.uk/jokes/monty-python-arguement.html

Just sit back, enjoy, and let them all get on with it. Personally I can't wait for the next episode but I imagine that eventally it will all end up by those involved agreeing to disagree.

Peace and harmony to all :o)
rocknicker
rocknicker
908 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 12:00
Rhiannon wrote:

yeah post away - but please take incredible care that each photo is absolutely unique and relavent won't you :P
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 12:01
oh I know exactly where you're coming from.. must! resist!
Robert Carr
84 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 12:03
slumpystones wrote:

Calling people stupid is not a good start!

Neither is calling people "incompetent fools". You reap what you sow.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 12:12
I thought a number of us had, but I'm reluctant to reiterate it as voicing it seems to be taken as an unfriendly act and I can do without further upset.
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Re: Ask the Experts
Jul 02, 2007, 12:54
Me too! Although I'd have to be convinced that lots of the general public having a look whilst the thing is open didn't damage the hill.
Pages: 67 – [ Previous | 139 40 41 42 43 44 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index