The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Silbury Hill »
Silbury updates
This topic is locked

Pages: 67 – [ Previous | 141 42 43 44 45 46 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
VenerableBottyBurp
675 posts

Re: time capsule - would this solve the problems?
Jul 02, 2007, 15:57
goffik wrote:
By jove I think you've got it!

Give that man a... whatever he wants!

What a perfect solution - a 100% win-win situation... Nice one, VBB..!

G x

Thanks big fella, I hope so, we shall have to wait and see...

VBB :o)
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 16:07
sounds good to me.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 16:20
If this is a daft idea, sorry, I was just hoping we might stop the divisions and arguments. If however it appears sound I am prepared to put it to EH.

Can't see any arguments against that VBB. As long as nothing other than chalk ends up in Silbury no rules of conservation are being broken.
slumpystones
769 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 16:28
A splendid suggestion, much more personal than a sterile glass container, something the kids could bring their grandchildren to in 50 years and say "There's a little piece of my spirit in there" and mean it.

Rather than "I drew a picture of a rocket and it's in there somewhere" anyway.

Now, it's getting EH to climb down and accept it !!!
CianMcLiam
CianMcLiam
1067 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 16:36
That's a great idea but you could add some more kiddie involvement without adding other elements to the party.

Isn't it possible to make chalk 'sculptures' using just water and chalk? Maybe the kids could have a workshop where they make little Silburys, standing stones and stone circles using chalk and water paste in paper mache moulds, the sculptures could then be placed inside Silbury where nature will take it's course. That way there's lots more involvement for the kids (got to be a good idea and plenty of 'touchy-feely' for the suits) and they could have their piccie in the paper with their little sculptures.

Of course, there's also the problems of influencing the authorities, don't know what it's like over there but over here if you don't foam at the mouth at objectors and call them tree-hugging-eco-warrior-marxist-anarchists then your opinion is off the spectrum.
VenerableBottyBurp
675 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 17:01
CianMcLiam wrote:
Isn't it possible to make chalk 'sculptures' using just water and chalk?

Its a good idea but as there is so much tension and it is not at all certain that EH will accept, we perhaps better keep any suggestion as simple as possible.

Thanks everyone above for chipping in so positively.

VBB :o)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 17:02
Superb idea VBB,
and superb way of expressing it Slumpy -

"A splendid suggestion, much more personal than a sterile glass container, something the kids could bring their grandchildren to in 50 years and say "There's a little piece of my spirit in there" and mean it".

Allowing local youngsters to incorporate something of their spirit into the monument, what could be more fitting?
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 17:18
nigelswift wrote:
Superb idea VBB,
and superb way of expressing it Slumpy -

"A splendid suggestion, much more personal than a sterile glass container, something the kids could bring their grandchildren to in 50 years and say "There's a little piece of my spirit in there" and mean it".

Allowing local youngsters to incorporate something of their spirit into the monument, what could be more fitting?

nigelswift wrote:

The sentiment is not far off what we've been discussing elsewhere - just leaving the spirit of the offering at places that are important to us, not the material substance of that offering. And to stretch VBB's brilliant idea a little further - perhaps all those concerned with Silbury's future could be invited to offer a handful of chalk to the infill, knowing that 'there is a little piece of their spirit in there'.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 17:23
And to stretch VBB's brilliant idea a little further - perhaps all those concerned with Silbury's future could be invited to offer a handful of chalk to the infill, knowing that 'there is a little piece of their spirit in there'.

That would have been nice but in view of all that has gone on and VBB's advice to keep it simple, letting the schoolchildren feel uniquely privileged might be the best plan?
VenerableBottyBurp
675 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 17:39
[quote="perhaps all those concerned with Silbury's future could be invited to offer a handful of chalk to the infill.[/quote]

If we put to EH that more might join in I fear we might scupper any chance if indeed there is one for the children.

I suggest matters are kept simple and if this basic idea is OK with others, and we certainly need to know if scousemaiden and her family think this is an acceptable idea, then the basic suggestion allows EH to see how it could work and what might be allowed to happen.

VBB
Pages: 67 – [ Previous | 141 42 43 44 45 46 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index