This topic is locked

Pages: 17 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Re: Graffiti at WKLB.
Apr 04, 2005, 23:50
what the fuck are you wasting time here for then?
I'm sure I'm not worthy of your time also but if you won't explain your explainations what are people supposed to think?
"Mike has the real meaning of swastikas that none of us plebs can see cuz we are not worthy of his attention?"
Get a grip man!
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Apr 04, 2005, 23:52
well you worthy of my time anyday (although I will probably keep my legs crossed in the pub and hid behind Hob when we are in the fields ;)
X
Pete
TreeHouse
TreeHouse
8 posts

Apr 05, 2005, 00:40
I went up to the WKLB today with a torch and have two things to report. 1) I didn't find any swastikas but i did find some badly drawn number fours and an X. 2) There were some swirly chalk marks there as well (nothing recognisable). Furthermore, some idiot has also been chalking "I was here" on the stones at avebury, although this has presumably been going on for a long time because the lichen on one stone (the biggie by the road to swindon) was growing in an 'I woz ere' formation. Well done idiot.

Whoever the original perpetrator of the "swastikas" was, and whatever their intention (however religious or profound), they should be aware of the monkey-see, monkey-do behaviour that their example might encourage. Monkey sees chalk marks on the ancient stone, monkey makes some of his own chalk marks. I WOZ ERE. ERE I WOZ. Brilliant.

In a similar vein, on my last visit to Avebury, some people who couldn't read the signs were flying a kite up on top of Silbury Hill. Yes, I'd like to go up there too, but I don't because I'm not selfish enough to think that its ok for me to break the rules (which are there for good reasons) but not for anyone else to. My few footfalls might not lead to much erosion, but if a few million people a year had the same thought (and there are that many visitors who stop to look) there wouldn't be much left of this magnificent site.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Apr 05, 2005, 07:08
>> and have little to do with big old rocks :-)

I think the bull may beg to differ!
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Apr 05, 2005, 09:11
Splendid!
J
x
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Swastikas
Apr 05, 2005, 09:28
"Nigel, would it make sense for me to explain what I'm about? I am more than happy to post a page on my site in very simple terms dealing with all of your concerns."

I fear Mike I'm another who sees things in simplistic terms and am probably not worthy of your time.

You see, you say that the display of a swastika has to be judged in terms of the intent of the person displaying it. But in the simple world that I inhabit, displaying swastikas causes offence and pain to millions of simple, innocent nice people and a couple of web pages explaining they are wrong to think that way aren't going to remove the damage.

Knowing that, and persisting, is a bit fascist IMO.
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

Apr 05, 2005, 09:38
Am I worthy of your time Mike? Please say I am!

I sooo hope I am. Please please please please...

[Jumps up and down]
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Apr 05, 2005, 09:39
You forgot to wave your arms about whilst jumping up and down. This probably makes you too insignificant. Sorry
Wiggy
1696 posts

Apr 05, 2005, 10:24
....what about the Jains?....
Wiggy
1696 posts

Apr 05, 2005, 10:29
By the way Mike, don't you think that if the people who built these sites had wanted to include swastika's on them they would have put them there themselves? Or am I just missing something?
Pages: 17 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index