This topic is locked

Pages: 17 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
LancsLass
8 posts

Re: Graffiti at WKLB.
Mar 31, 2005, 22:11
Oh Mr Fourwinds how petty you are

Read your original message in reply to mine you stated chalk wont wash off even if exposed to elements blah blah blah
What amazes me even more is youve taken the time to post a link to prove your theory! (fantastic)

Quote: So, next time you say someone's talking rot make sure that they are, otherwise your amazing lack of knowledge might be noticed by a few people :-)

How ashamed i am to lack the knowledge of chalk that you so possess. I must brush up on Calcium Carbonate some more!

i suppose im a troll now am i?

Sheila xx
cameltoe
8 posts

Mar 31, 2005, 23:54
>>i suppose im a troll now am i?<<

Not really.

Just slightly up yourself, from what I've seen so far.

xx right back, Sheila.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Apr 01, 2005, 01:19
No, not a troll and nearly as far up herself as I am :-)
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Chalk & Lichen
Apr 01, 2005, 01:51
I've often wondered how much damage chalk actualy does to the stones and to the lichens.
I've told people to keep of the stones when I've seen them climbing all over them but 90% of the stones are the ones that Kieller put up and he scrubbed them clean so any lichen on them is only at best 70 years old.
Other stones like the Cove may have older lichens on them but it seems to me that the lichen is hardy enough to survive bad weather and the effects of animals rubbing against the stones.
I've not seen a chalk scribbling last very long once the rains come...
PeteG
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: Chalk & Lichen
Apr 01, 2005, 07:30
Aye - it may "only" be chalk, but it's still ugly, innit?

I was at Waylands Smithy last week (sorry for repeating meself!) and some child (someone saw her doing it) had very thoughtfully numbered the stones! And someone else had to tell their child not to chalk inside. I gave one stone a tentative rub (I'll get a reputation!) to see if the chalk would come off easily without too much pressure, and it seemed quite happy to come off with a moistened finger! Although I doubt I'd have much finger left if I'd done the same to all the stones...

Doesn't take much effort to NOT put chalk everywhere, does it?

Stopped at Avebury for 5 minutes on the way up and was just about to ask someone to not climb on that reconstructed stone at the car park end, but their dad looked quite nasty so I left them to it. The stones might be quite tough, but I'm a greet big puff..! ;o)

G x
rocknicker
rocknicker
908 posts

Apr 01, 2005, 08:35
>>>greet big puff

the only one in that village, I would warrant.
jimit
jimit
1053 posts

Apr 01, 2005, 08:45
Totally with you on all your comments here 4W, some people can be so rude :(
A slight addition ...rainwater has a slightly lower Ph ie is acidic and will disolve chalk. However in WKLB the graffiti is protected from the elements and will remain longer .
The issue is not trivial as anyone who visits this forum regularly can testify. These ancient sites have always been under threat by ignorant people and it is only by spreading our extensive knowledge can we educate those who would wish to harm them.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Apr 01, 2005, 09:21
"These ancient sites have always been under threat by ignorant people and it is only by spreading our extensive knowledge can we educate those who would wish to harm them."

Most people are ignorant in the true sense though, they just don't realise. You can go on Avebury's banks and on top of long barrows and (by tradition) your kids can slide on the prostrate sarsen at the Eastern entrance, but you mustn't climb other stones, or on Silbury.
More and better signs are the first step I'd have thought.
Wiggy
1696 posts

Apr 01, 2005, 11:10
I think razor wire and baton weilding cops could be the answer ....
VenerableBottyBurp
675 posts

Apr 01, 2005, 15:17
"I've not seen a chalk scribbling last very long once the rains come..."

There is a chalk drawing on a wall at Trusloe that has been there so long that the little girl that did it is now a big girl !

The point is that this drawing was then joined by others as it encourages mimicry and acceptance.

VBB
Pages: 17 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index