Re: Fridges - fly tipping
Nov 25, 2004, 22:55
You've not missed much !
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Re: Silbaby -a plea.
Nov 26, 2004, 03:26
A Core is really what is needed and something I have asked several people to look into.
"Archaeology is the science of rubbish" one of my tutors taught me.
Setting up a Fund is the best move forwards and if the mound turns out to be all rubbish then what a Midden!
PeteG
StoneLifter
StoneLifter
1594 posts

Nov 26, 2004, 08:15
There's always those dreaded two words - 'Time Team' ?

It would certainly make a good episode and it is about now I suspect they will be making a list of next year's activities.
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Nov 26, 2004, 08:48
That's actually not a bad idea. At least we'd get an answer one way or another, and no-one else seems willing to put up the money for an investigation...
nigelswift
8112 posts

Question for Steve Gray (and others)
Nov 26, 2004, 09:24
Realistically though, permission for anything invasive in the WHS isn't going to be easy is it, not until the establishment got convinced it really was something.
Ideally, if it was cleared of the trees and scrub it would be good as it would stand out better, and a non-invasive surface survey might show something about it's shape.

I have this suspicion that it has a number of Silbury-like distinct facets rather than just being round, though that could be wishful thinking - anyone else noticed?

How could we prove it, as amateurs? Steve - any suggestions? My thought was that if we put a tall pole on top with a fixed length of string and then walked round on the slope of the mound holding the string taught and placed marker sticks..... or something?
StoneLifter
StoneLifter
1594 posts

Re: Question for Steve Gray (and others)
Nov 26, 2004, 09:34
Only an archaeologist can 'prove' it. A publication of some kind will do. A television programme with Richard Bradley saying 'this is part of the prehistoric Avebury landscape' would do the trick.

Wasn't Silbury Hill built very specifically ? If Silbaby is related then a similar construction technique may be anticipated. A Victorian rubbish heap is unlikely to have round plan.
MJB
29 posts

Re: West Kennett enclosures
Nov 26, 2004, 09:39
Hi,

as the person responsible for the most recent cropmark plot of the West Kennet enclosures (and yes, I have visited Silbaby on the ground with Dave Field and Pete G), I should point out that the two linear cropmarks Rhiannon refers to don't quite align on Silbaby. There's also another problem with them, especially the western one - as it travels northwest towards the western palisade enclosure, it actually turns almost due north before crossing the enclosure's interior, missing Silbaby by a fair distance. The eastern linear ends against the palisade enclosure wall and does not continue beyond it. What's interesting in terms of the Silbaby area is the view that anyone would have had in the Neolithic of the interior of the palisades enclosures, and of the linked linears and enclosures beyond. If anyone's interested, a summary account and interpretation of the post-Whittle cropmarks is in Wiltshire Archaeological Magazine vol 96, 2003, pages 148-160, while a more detailed account can be ordered (in either paper or pdf format) from the NMR at Swindon (via www.english-heritage.org.uk and links to National Monuments Record). No idea what they'll charge, but it's usually cost price, more or less.
smallblueplanet
472 posts

Nov 26, 2004, 09:54
Hi MJB

what's your opinion of Silbaby then? It seems unlikely that all these past and present "venerable" archaeologists have dug, and wandered about abit, in the area of Silbaby and not noticed it at all?

Amanda
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 26, 2004, 10:00
Hi MJB and welcome.

Just to reinforce Amanda's question - as you say, the view into the enclosures is a facinating - and obvious - speculation if Silbaby was there at the time, yet neither Pollard nor Whittle mention Silbaby at all, despite spending so much time right next to it.
The obvious assumption is that they knew exactly what it was, and that it was an irrelevance, and we're barking up the wrong tree. Yet we still can't seem to find anything that indicates what it is.
pixie1948
pixie1948
171 posts

Nov 26, 2004, 10:30
Presumably you've checked all the available aerial photographs and old maps of the area. Has anyone dowsed Silbaby? Or taken a metal detector over it, maybe not very helpful from what you say has been dumped. Have you asked locals about their memories of the area, any myths, tales etc. I'm sure you've thought of all this before
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index