Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 111 12 13 14 15 16 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Re: Re WK palisaded enclosures
Nov 28, 2004, 13:55
http://aveburytour.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/Silbury/Photos/SpringsMound.jpg
shows another spring in the middle of the field. This floods the area in bad weather so could it account for the odd splodge on the map?
PeteG
moss
moss
2897 posts

Nov 28, 2004, 13:56
Don't know much about alignments, but it is extraordinary at the moment, walking the dog early this morning, the moon was as bright as a bell in daylight in the northish, and then the sun came up on the way back almost directly opposite....... the phenomenon of the sun coming over the horizon really only seems to happen in a few minutes but at both ends of the day the colour changes are spectacular........
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Re: Hows about...
Nov 28, 2004, 14:00
No Firm date has been set yet.
When Goffik gets back we'll deffo arrange a time and place to meet up.
PeteG
baza
baza
1308 posts

Nov 28, 2004, 17:10
That's the best aerial view of Silbaby I've seen so far; and I agree, it does seem to show a mound lying next to Waden Hill. Whenever I've been there the vegetation has been too thick to have a good mooch around it.

Another thing which bothered me was: the mound doesn't seem to be higher than the road; you walk straight from the road onto the mound, and the road is in a cutting on its northern side.

baz
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Nov 28, 2004, 17:27
Could it be that the Girt Bank was used to build up the road when it was metalled in the 1900's?
PeteG
lithop
38 posts

Nov 28, 2004, 18:43
Given that the Romans liked to keep things straight wherever possible after reading Baza's post about a cutting on the north side of the road it makes sense that they might have dug quite a chunk out of the end of Waden Hill in the interest of straightness. Is there any evidence that the road was straighter at one time to the north of Silbaby and the present curve in the road might be a result of general slumping of the cut face over time. Could Silbaby be the result of Roman road building?
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Nov 28, 2004, 18:50
I would have thought that if the R*mans made it to prop up the road it would be this shape \___/
not this shape
/ \
\__/
PeteG
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Nov 28, 2004, 18:51
Damn, lets try this
/``\
\__/
The mound cuts back into towards the raod at the top
PeteG
lithop
38 posts

Nov 28, 2004, 19:25
I can't quite get the profile of Silbaby....only what appears on the photos that have been posted....Baza seems to imply that the road and top of Silbaby are at the same level....Is it a distinct feature away from the road? I was thinking more that if a cutting was made the removed material was put somewhere and Silbaby is the result.
I live quite a distance from Avebury so am running on guesswork at the moment so forgive confused ramblings!
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Moon Set
Nov 29, 2004, 11:00
I tried today and although there were a few clouds it was too hazy on the horizon to see the moon.
I'll try again tomorrow,
PeteG
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 111 12 13 14 15 16 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index