76 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Sea burial
Jan 28, 2011, 19:29
moss wrote:
Interesting article, it seems that there are quite a few things in the world I don't like ;) and Colin Renfrew is another one of them, sad person that I am. But that is neither here nor there, I don't believe that somehow archaeology and art can be mixed, though the argument could be that art is what you want it to be and therefore it is immaterial where you apply it. Most of what we see is surely a conceptual perception of the artists brain and is not necessarily understood by the rest of us, perhaps you can describe most assemblies like the one mentioned as an 'experience' a bit like Viking Jorvik......
For what its worth there is an interesting discussion on Britarch about' what is archaeology? and the application of symbolism (something that Renfrew has taken to) and post-processualists which is surely out of fashion by now...
But in the end its all down to what you like and what you don't....
So I'll take the cowards way out and say some of Goldsworthy's stuff I like!

Renfrew was mentioned for his association with Goldsworthy and not intended as an endorsement ,but once again fwiw , I have enjoyed much of what he has written , although there are some exceptions to that .
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index