Seahenge

76 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Salient paradox
Jan 28, 2011, 18:12
Yes, I attack Goldsworthy at every opportunity. He was earning thousands altering sheepfolds in Cumbria as I was starving restoring sheepfolds in Northumberland. But it is relevent because that group of artists - lumped together by Renfrew - are attempting the same feats that the original megalith builders were. Aesthetic beauty in a landscape, broadly. The prehistoric ancestors incorporated pagan earth spirit symbology - the alignments are the best example, perhaps - while the contemporary artists incorporate the modern religion - shop till you drop - in their work.

It's a pity that the old skills have no champion, and that they are rapidly being lost. I guess I must have mentioned before that my friend has become the boss of the Crafts Council and keeping the craft skills alive is one thing that motivates her. When she was a lowly arts officer - better not say where - I would say 'Richard Long, Richard Long' - and that place now has a fair collection of his earlier work.

Jimmy Cauty had a good view of the Angel of the North - and I wouldn't mind an early Paolozzi vacuum-formed piece. But mainly I'd like to burn one of AG's leaf boxes, on my hand - any subsequent scar would be art!
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index