Jan 19, 2003, 11:21
erm, in about, erm a fortnight.

not fat anymore tho

Moey
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Re: Synth Pop
Jan 19, 2003, 14:21
Cringe inducing it may seem in the cold light of retrospection. But he did have his own thing going on, rather than being another cliched rock/pop star.
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Re: gary numan
Jan 19, 2003, 14:33
Numan pushing himself as a superstar android did make him look a cunt, particularly when the good records started to dry up. I remember pissing myself when the news had his plane crash in the road back in the early 80s. Luckily he was unharmed but it still made me laugh at what a knob he was. Another highlight was some award ceremony and they had a satelite link up with him and he came across as a right Mong. Having said that, looking back Dave Lee Travis, the compere, was being the bigger C*nt. The Nadir for Numan was when he appeared on the Leo Sayer show.

Having said all that, I don't feel Numan deserved all the Shit he got. The music press by the mid-80s was extremely bitter and libelous. Gary had a petrol bomb put under his Dad's car. His Mum was under police protection due to kidnap threats.

No one deserved this level fuckery directed at them. Dodgy right wing Toryisms aside he is an electronic legend. Though in a more just world John Foxx would have been the superstar.
Dwight Fried
543 posts

The Fabulous Mael Brothers
Jan 20, 2003, 03:48
...Sparks' 'No. 1 In Heaven' and 'Terminal Jive' are seminal synth-pop and provided the blueprint for the synth-pop duo(see Soft Cell, Blancmange et al.) Without them this would be a much shorter thread, methinks.
The new one 'Lil' Beethoven' is supposed to be a fine return to form-anyone got it yet?
Howden
Howden
216 posts

Good shout, DF!
Jan 20, 2003, 08:54
Used to have 'Kimono My House' and another one I can't remember. Great, innovative band.
I'm sure I've still got the 7" of 'When I'm With You, I Never Feel Like Garbage', which I saw New Order cover once as an encore.
I Faustus
53 posts

Re: The Fabulous Mael Brothers
Jan 20, 2003, 11:01
Yes. All the Moroder - produced Sparks stuff is at the very height of Electro art. In fact anything Moroder touched, from I Feel Love and Life in Tokyo is up there.

I love the No 1 In Heaven mini LP - La Dolce Vita and Beat The Clock - stupendous.

(Also excellent but not really synth pop is Indiscreet and Propaganda - never out of my car stereo)

A friend once flew back from India in tears as he had been drugged and mugged TWICE and was coming home. He sat next to the Maels on his way back and said that they very seriously FREAKED HIM OUT.

Other Unsung Synth classics:
Silicon Teens
Telex
Flying Lizards

Enuff already

Faustus
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Yello
Jan 20, 2003, 12:16
...had their moments.

Sigue Sigue Sputnik are worth checking out for their ultra-violent Donna Summer being force-fed Suicide through a tube into her stomach sound. Trashy and stupid as fuck. Big hair too.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Re: Yello
Jan 20, 2003, 12:25
The second SSS album is largely genius.
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Re: Synth Pop
Jan 20, 2003, 12:31
You can't beat a nice bit of Throbbing Gristle e.g.

Distant Dreams
Adrenalin
Still Walking
20 Jazz Funk Greats

etc.

However, this will typically be tempered with a nasty bit of Throbbing Gristle e.g.

Slug Bait
Hamburger Lady
Medicine
Zyklon B Zombie

etc.

Maybe the forthcoming greatest hits on Mute will tend more to the former than the latter; the current one not only includes Slug Bait but has it recorded backwards for maximum queasy listening appeal.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Re: Japan anyone?
Jan 20, 2003, 15:59
I saw David Sylvian (and Steve Jansen) in concert last year. Mr Sylvian had a ginger 'tache..........
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index