Synth Pop

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Re: Synth Pop
Jan 17, 2003, 13:37
Oh, but the 'dancing' and the geography-teacher jumpers.
>shivver<
elderford
482 posts

Re: cardiacs
Jan 17, 2003, 13:43
it was the first time i saw them or was aware of them, one of those rare moments when you fall in love with the support, missed most of marillion's set as i was chatting to The Consultant and buying various cardiacs cassettes in the foyer.

The audience pretty much took a collective dislike to them from the start, and at the end of the set when the consultant gives the cardiacs champagne and showers them with confetti was just adding insult to injury as far as they were concerned.

it was all just after the heroic NWOBHM period so mainly very metallers in the audience rather than a prog rock one (not that they'd've appreciated them any better).
Killer
255 posts

Jan 17, 2003, 13:53
I just burnt my LP to CD with this included, I'll do you a copy if you want a CD with this track on it
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Jan 17, 2003, 13:54
Just wanted to add my voice to Moon Cat's suggestion of Soft Cell. 'Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret' is essential synth duo sleaze-pop. The Non Stop Ecstatic Dancing remix album has got Memorabilia on it too, which is one of the first examples of Ecstasy-inspired electronic trance.

The Eurythmics' 'Sweet Dreams(Are Made of This)' album is pretty good, and more brooding and menacing than any of their later stuff (which I'd avoid if I were you). If you want an even weirder version of Eurythmics try 'In The Garden'.

The The's 'Soul Mining' kind of qualifies, as it's very syth and drum-machine heavy. Bloody brilliant it is too.
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Jan 17, 2003, 14:10
It's OK thanks, I've got a (crackly!) vinyl copy. I just think it's unfair that people buying that album now don't get to hear that track though. It used to really freak me out in a ooh-I-don't-understand-this-creepy-weirdness way when I was a kid, and I see it as an integral part of the album now.

"Dragons, the policeman knew, used to breathe to breathe used to breathe fire used to breathe fire fire fire. She wondered."
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Jan 17, 2003, 14:13
I was trying to avoid doing that. 'Tis indeed a great album. However, I feel that 'Sex Dwarf' is possibly the weakest thing on it. A song more loved for it's notoriety I often think.

Of course, that would just be my usual habit of poo-poo naysaying.
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Non Stop
Jan 17, 2003, 14:23
It's not just Sex Dwarf I'm talking about though. The whole album reeks of sleezy Soho basement after-hours drinking dens. And there's palpable anger in Frustration and Chips On My Shoulder. Bleedin classic.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Jan 17, 2003, 14:28
Rhythm Of Life by Paul Haig, who used to be in Josef K was pretty good. From about 1983.

There were a couple of GREAT singles by a duo called Leisure Process: Love Cascade/A Way You'll Never Be and Cashflow. Martin Rushent produced them, I think.

I mentioned Upstairs At Eric's in this week's "Soundtracks......." :0)
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Jan 17, 2003, 14:32
coo haven't heard that Paul Haig thing for yonks - will have to dig it out tonight.

As far as Soft Cell go I always liked the Art of Falling Apart. I agree with LL about the sleazy feel of the Soft Cell stuff - positively reeks of it! Luvverly.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

dodgy territory
Jan 17, 2003, 14:39
which tempts me to mention the Simple Minds before they got crap. Empires and Dance, Sons and Fascination and New Gold Dream are all synth pop to some extent, and I must admit I've been digging these out again lately after years spent in the "too uncool to leave visible" section of my record collection.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index