Synth Pop

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moey
moey
770 posts

Re: Strawberry Switchblade
Jan 18, 2003, 17:59
Once saw one of the girls and her (then) new band supporting Peter Murphy at the Town & Country Club in Kentish Town - probably around 89.

Can't even remember their name, but they were bloody awful.

Shame really, as they were pretty good in a poppy way as SS
Howden
Howden
216 posts

Re: I Travel
Jan 18, 2003, 19:05
'The American' always did it for me! And Human League's 'Empire State Human'.
Howden
Howden
216 posts

Japan anyone?
Jan 18, 2003, 19:08
'Quiet Life' & 'Gentlemen Take Polaroids' have a very fixed time and place for me... Both are gorgeous albums, though. 'I Second That Emotion' and 'All Tomorrow's Parties' are great versions, perhaps even surpassing the originals, IMO!
a23
a23
1004 posts

Re: Ultravox!
Jan 18, 2003, 19:08
I think ultravox took that title from the French film of the same name which I remember seeing donkey's ago in some arthouse cinema.
It is a great track - also the b-side of Rockwrok has a very different version of the song - all screaming guitars and amphetamine vocals...must dig out the vinyl and burn it onto cd
Beebon
1375 posts

Re: Synth Pop
Jan 18, 2003, 20:07
Wow i am amazed at the responce i got here!

I will definately check some of this stuff out and thanks dudes!

Steve :)
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Hanoi Rocks
Jan 18, 2003, 20:25
I prefer 'Adolescent Sex' period stuff. Particularly their version of 'Don't Rain On My Parade'. Hmmm, strange how it's the covers that get mentioned here.
Eardrum
Eardrum
540 posts

Re: Ultravox!
Jan 18, 2003, 20:38
first time I heard that version it scared the shit out of me!
Killer
255 posts

Re: Synth Pop
Jan 19, 2003, 09:43
I reckon that the response shows that the age us of most of us is probably going to be about 35.
moey
moey
770 posts

Japan? of course!
Jan 19, 2003, 11:16
My fave (departed) band! still drag out those two, probably even more than Tin Drum.

Dunno wot the Velvets fans will say about All tomorrows parties tho' but I agree thhey should both have been in the unexpected cover versions thread.

Quiet life was notable for the massive change in direction from their first two albums. How many fans working backwards to catch up with their albums thought "Who the hell is that? that's not Sylvian singing" I know I did when I bought my high quality "TWOONONE" cassette copy - nearly sent it straight back to HMV.

I do like the early albums tho' I hear echoes of them in the Strokes!

moey
moey
moey
770 posts

Don't Rain On My Parade
Jan 19, 2003, 11:19
Ah yes, another great cover - better than Liza Minelli hehehe.

They looked great as glam metallers too
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index