Synth Pop

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

This Last Night...
Jan 17, 2003, 16:50
Just checked what AllMusicGuide had to say about it...

"This Last Night In Sodom is involved with far too much corruption to be tolerable."

CLASS!
Eardrum
Eardrum
540 posts

Ultravox!
Jan 17, 2003, 16:51
Systems of Romance always did it for me. Mind you I've got most of their stuff and have a soft spot for 'em! Hiroshima mon Amour, Just for a Moment, My Sex, I love 'em all!

John Foxx has a new live CD out, recorded in the 80's and 2 years ago. The most recent has some cracking versions of old stuff on. Recommended if you wanna
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Re: This Last Night...
Jan 17, 2003, 16:51
makes yer wanna go out and buy it on the spot don't it?!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

how about...
Jan 17, 2003, 20:56
the Associates?

not exactly synth pop, but kind of related...

*how could I forget? lots of interesting Scottish bands around that time...
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

B Movie & Strawberry Switchblade
Jan 17, 2003, 21:15
As a ltecomer to this thread, I'd like to second the nominations for Soul Mining, Sweet Dreams and ealy OMD.

I'd add several B-Movie singles. Marilyn Dreams, and Remembrance Day are pretty good, but Nowhere Girl is a masterpiece.

They'll be a fucker to find, though. There were 4 different recordings issued of NG, one on indie label Dead Good, one (by far the best) a single on Some Bizarre, one on a BBC sessions album and one on the truly dreadful end-of-the-career Go Westian album Forever Running. So you're fucked searching for the MP3. Track down the 7".

Incidentally, B-Movie supported the Teardrops a few times.

I'd also nominate Strawberry Switchblade - some of the most beautiful delicate harmonies and gorgeous melodies I've ever heard, interspersed with bouncy shiny pop heaven, all of it with an undercurrent of something darker. Their cover of the Velvets' Sunday Morning (on the 12" of Since Yesterday) is one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Re: Ultravox!
Jan 17, 2003, 21:18
There's a club/gig venue in Turin called Hiroshima Mon Amour. I wondered where they got the name from......
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Strawberry Switchblade
Jan 17, 2003, 21:49
I like the lush pop thrills of Strawberry Switchblade too. Not sure if I'd particularly stick em is as synthpop though. P'raps more....perfectpop that uses keyboards a bit?
Whatever they were just about the only laydeez that made polkadots and lacey tights attractive. Sigh.
Eardrum
Eardrum
540 posts

Associates
Jan 17, 2003, 22:12
second that! Billy Mackenzie had one of the most beautiful voices. A sad loss
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Re: Strawberry Switchblade
Jan 18, 2003, 17:28
My backburner is laden with several projects, but the largest is the Strawberry Switchblade site I'm working on. Finding them both and interviewing them was great. Transcribing 9 hours of tape is, however, a laborious pain in the arse.

It's gonna be a corker when it's done - MP3s of rare tracks, peel sesisons and unreleased things, a load of unpublished photos (including Jill aged 7 in polka dots and the very first pic of the band), an illustrated and (unlike the other Switchblade sites) reliable discography.

Fuck knows when it'll be done, like.
moey
moey
770 posts

Re: I Travel
Jan 18, 2003, 17:54
Classic floor filler 12"!
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index