The Cure

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

Re: The Cure
Jan 15, 2003, 14:46
mmm the cure at glasto 86...what a wunneful time...and the london show in 94 (?)... a forest squalling out amidst the thunderstorm....utter joy
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Jan 15, 2003, 14:59
I saw 'em glasto '86 and sinead and a very beautiful gurl climbed on me shoulders to see better and later ... you get the picture. Dunno what's been going on since!
What a sesh that was camping with about 15 Irish who were students working on the farm I was too, mad year and the Irish did so well that year in the world cup. We came back up to London and went to gigs up in Islington Pied Bull? and at the Elephant and Castle saw The Sons Of The Desert and drank lotsa lovely Guinness and mope'd about 'cos of the Irish loosing
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Jan 15, 2003, 15:02
Now look what you've done! I've wound up putting on "Disintegration" after all the talk here, and am doing far more wistful sighing than is respectable for someone of my age. I'll be back writing bad poetry and car-surfing any minute now, mark my words.
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Jan 15, 2003, 15:37
I'm glad someone mentioned Seventeen Seconds at last. That's one of my faves too. Faith is the biggun though, as far as I'm concerned.

Something The Cure should be given credit for is the fact that they stopped goth from being a totally humourless miserablist bunch of self-indulgent tosh. When groups like The Mission were about I'm sure it inspired Bob and Co to go poppier and to get away from the sulking in a haunted house imagery that started to get out of hand.

Nobody's mentioned Robert Smith & Steve Severin's The Glove album yet, which I love. It's the most psychedelic that Bob got and has nicely skewed pop songs on it (if you can get past the rather dodgy female vocals).

My fave Cure moment was seeing them at a festival in Germany in about '88. They headlined and played for hours. I eventually crashed out in my tent with them playing a really long version of All Cats Are Grey, wafting in and out on the breeze. Beautiful it was.

cHARLIE*s gonna come and flame us all soon for being a bUncH oV gOfFS!!!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8768 posts

Jan 15, 2003, 15:43
17 seconds is my fave...I've even done live versions of A Forest and Seventeen Seconds...back in my youth I hasten to add. Yup LL, I like the Glove thing too - haven't heard that for yonks.

PS Still haven't remembered to post yer CD - apololologies
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Jan 15, 2003, 16:13
Re:Your PS: I know! get to it fella!
salivating LL
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8768 posts

Jan 15, 2003, 16:17
I brought it into work today but didn't make it to the Post Office - no time. And I haven't had a chance to scribble the track list either. bah. too much rubbish to do today (and all the time at present) unfortunately.
dizzyfarie
152 posts

Jan 15, 2003, 16:29
actually, i think it's just me bt technically that is a big range it just wudnt make much difference 2 th average.love dizzy xXx
dizzyfarie
152 posts

Jan 15, 2003, 16:32
Head on the Door was my 1st cure album...ooh, im coming ova all playdays, i think ur probably rite about th popy stuff bcos weras otha bnds poppy stuff gets tirin after a while the cures beautiful self degradation and subtleties wil carry them across many more decades 2 cum!love dizzy xXx
dizzyfarie
152 posts

Jan 15, 2003, 16:34
aww, u poor love!!!fancy not bein able 2 listen 2 disintegration!just pray 4 a mid-life crisis and u shud b fine!love dizzy xXx
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index