1539 posts

"The Last Mile"
Jul 19, 2018, 20:32
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shxVoA6enrk
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

Re: "I'll Keep It With Mine"
Jul 19, 2018, 20:47
Screenshots of the label say the Producer was Andrew Loog-Oldham (which makes a lot more sense than Brian).
The Seth Man
1242 posts

SydArthur Festival Day 13: July 19th, 2018 Cerebration - Judy Henske & Jerry Yester: "Raider"
Jul 19, 2018, 23:46
Judy Henske & Jerry Yester's FAREWELL ALDEBARAN is one strange and patchwork album.

I listened to it for the first time in 2004 after I found an original copy in New York for $40. Thought a couple of tracks were fine, some of Henske's vocals were a wee too strident -- closer to early Buffy Sainte-Marie than Grace Slick. But the last song, "Farewell Aldebaran," really put a zap on my head. Gives you the feeling you're standing on the edge of eternity. Sort of like "Thread Of Life" by Renaissance, only far less dejected and far more elevating in spirit.

"Raider" is a multi-dimensional hayride, kind of like something by Kaleidoscope on "Beacon From Mars," which makes sense because I think David Lindley and someone else from Kaleidoscope appears on the album and I wouldn't be surprised if it was this track.

When I first heard this album, I don't think there was further personnel listed on the gatefold, so was really freaked out when I discovered Bernie Krause contributed Moog to the final track! Perfect.
tinribs
13 posts

Re: SydArthur Festival 2018 Day 8: July 14th 1789 – The Storming of the Bastille / Magma (live 1973)
Jul 20, 2018, 20:53
Thanks for this Seth Man. I've been listening to Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh and Kohntarkosz all week since watching the clip on sydarthur; had never heard Magma before. Totally transfixed by Rene Garber's performance, a beautiful being possessed. I've been searching all week to find his name; turns out he died a few years ago, his body was reckoned to have been in his apartment for 8 months. So sad.
The Seth Man
1242 posts

Re: SydArthur Festival 2018 Day 8: July 14th 1789 – The Storming of the Bastille / Magma (live 1973)
Jul 21, 2018, 02:54
tinribs,

Thank you, glad you're...enjoying might not be the right word...!
MEKANIK DESTRUKTIW KOMMANDOH and KOHNTAROSZ are absolutely pinnacle Magma records. I'd throw in Christian Vander's 1974 pre-KOHNTAROSZ soundtrack, TRISTAN EY YSEULT. He's backed by a stripped-down Magma and it sometimes goes under the Magma moniker and the title, WURDAH ITAH. Either way, it's a great record, Janik Top's on bass and if you did the above records, you'll probably...uh, dig it just as much.

That's very sad about Rene Garber. He was probably as much if not more down with the Kobaian than even Vander. Vander and Blasquiz were writing music about the opening of the tomb of Emehnteht-Re and its subsequent visions, but STÜNDËHR became Emehnteht-Re during performance. He's so intense in that clip.
The Seth Man
1242 posts

SydArthur Festival Day 14: July 20th 2015 – Death of Dieter Moebius
Jul 21, 2018, 03:11
This evening, listening to everything I can think of with him on it: Cluster, Harmonia, Cluster & Eno, Moebius & Plank...Only sometimes I know when it's him and it's usually the bizarre squibs he implodes with, or the darkly terrifying melodies or just the-everything-else-Rodelius-isn't playing.

I first heard him in early 1982 when I borrowed a friend's sister's copies of CLUSTER & ENO and AFTER THE HEAT. At the time, it seemed the absolute polar limits of synthesizer music and instantly made my small collection of Vangelis, Synergy and Jean-Michel Jarre seem insufficient. In reflection, how I wish those early Cluster album had been available at the time in the USA. In 1983, I spotted a copy of "Cluster II" -- once -- in NYC used but was four times the price of a typical import.

CLUSTER. (the first album)
CLUSTER II.
ZUCKERZEIT.
MUSIK VON HARMONIA.
HARMONIA DELUXE.

And that's not even mentioning Kluster mit "K." The early stuff with Conrad Schnitzler. ERUPTION makes METAL MACHINE MACHINE sound like 1001 Strings. That is some of the most brutal industrial music I've ever heard.

His two collaboration albums with Conny Plank, RASTAKRAUTPASTA and MATERIAL, are amazing as once again, Moebius the sonic chameleon leaves his mark all over the place but...exactly where is hard to tell at points.

Moebius -- what a singularity.
tinribs
13 posts

Jul 21, 2018, 14:33
Cheers Seth Man, thanks for recommending Wurdah Itah, going to get on it this week. I'm still completely blown away by the other two records, cannot stop listening to them. There are parts of both which approach absolute perfection, the rhythms really remind me of Monster Movie era Can. Christian Vander's drumming giving Jaki Leibzeit a run for his dough.

Praise be to SydArthur Festival, a true festival of the mind and source of endless rabbit holes!
HI DEN
HI DEN
814 posts

Edited Jul 24, 2018, 10:42
Re: SydArthur Festival Day 14: July 20th 2015 – Death of Dieter Moebius
Jul 22, 2018, 21:15
I haven’t been able to post here much but have duly and thoroughly participated in the festivities. So many things to comment on at this point that I don’t know where to start. But, that David Ackles album (American Gothic) and especially ‘Montana Song’... A revelation, woa!

But, it’s (the festival) all classic stuff in my book!

And about Moebius, I concur. And true that about early Cluster, definitely not just some "two dimensional space music"..! Also I can (rather) enjoy some Moebius & Beerbohm, and of course ’Zero Set’ by Moebius, Plank & Neumaier... And, Liliental!!
The Seth Man
1242 posts

SydArthur Festival Day 19: July 25th, 2018: Cerebration - The Flowers: "How Many More Times"
Jul 27, 2018, 00:52
THIS song.
THAT pedal steel guitar.
THOSE vocals.

WHAT a racket and WHAT unrestrained effort displayed in that magical one-time shot of becoming-ness.
The Seth Man
1242 posts

SydArthur Festival Day 21: July 27, 2018: Full Moon Cerebration - King Tubby: "Great Stone"
Jul 28, 2018, 03:18
Yeah!

(((((((( Yeah...! ))))))))
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index