Unsung Forum »
SydArthur Festival 2018

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
HI DEN
HI DEN
814 posts

Edited Jul 11, 2018, 17:40
Re: SydArthur Festival 2018 Day 5: Cerebration - Günter Schickert - "Höllentanz"
Jul 11, 2018, 17:39
The Seth Man wrote:
Vocalist Celeste Carboni absolutely shines on this track.

And what a track that is!

Also, never heard that Russ Giguere album before, and what a revelation that is too. Can't get enough of "My Plan"..!

And today's hero Is Günter Schickert, and exactly that he IS. At least in my book, but he should be on everyone's book..! But he definitely is not, of which it tells a lot that even in Berlin (his hometown) he seems to be rather unsung. When I was there playing a gallery gig a year or so ago I tried to discuss about him with various older and younger heads/artists and no one seemed to know about him... "Samtvogel", "Kinder In Der Wildnis" and "G.A.M '76" (which got also released first time on vinyl awhile back!) are all classic albums, even among the creme de la creme (and not only Krautrock)!

I'm currently cerebrating with a bottle of Lebanese natural wine and some smokables. These psychic festivities giving some needed context for the next mondays get-together up here in Helsinki (Putin vs. Trump)..! Haha.
The Seth Man
1242 posts

Re: SydArthur Festival 2018 Day 5: Cerebration - Günter Schickert - "Höllentanz"
Jul 12, 2018, 03:06
Hey, HI DEN!

I agree: If Schickert's recordings were initially housed in great LP sleeves instead of photocopied black and white cassette inlays and then weirdly underachieving reissue album covers, he would be far, far better known.

Everything I've heard by Günter Schickert is about as under-recorded as it is brilliant. It continually reminds me of Achim Reichel held hostage in a one-car garage and told by his captors: "We roll the tape, you play. Or else." He did and not they did they let him off but gave him the ransom money, to boot!
The Seth Man
1242 posts

SydArthur Festival 2018 Day 6: Henry David Thoreau birthday / David Ackles: "Montana Song"
Jul 13, 2018, 05:34
"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes." - Thoreau

David Ackles' "Montana Song" off AMERICAN GOTHIC (1972) is a song I've played and re-played ever since Julian first mentioned it in KRAUTROCKSAMPLER and it's got to be the slowest of slow growers. Ever.

I only knew David Ackles from one picture and its caption ("Buddy, can you spare a contract?") from a Rock encyclopedia but it was decades before I ever saw one of his records, which had all been long out of print.

The first time I heard "Montana Song," I didn't get it.

I didn't dislike it or write it off, and a few years later wound up listening to it again. I still didn't get it, but did appreciate the arrangements.

Over the years, whenever Julian Cope would mention "Montana Song," I'd re-listen to it. Some parts sounded a little like Scott Walker, then like some of the instrumental outtakes from the Beach Boys' "Smile" or compositions used in musicals or films about small town America with other bits of Aaron Copland.

I listened to it four times today, bringing the total amount of times I've heard it up to ten. I'm glad I stuck with it, because I heard other things in it, had forgotten the narrative in the interim years, and its evocative power did truly move me.

I love it now.
The Seth Man
1242 posts

SydArthur Festival 2018 Day 7: The Gun Club: "Fire Spirit"
Jul 13, 2018, 15:25
What a curveball -- Haven't heard Jeffrey Lee's plead vox in a long, long time. Great!
The Seth Man
1242 posts

SydArthur Festival 2018 Day 8: July 14th 1789 – The Storming of the Bastille / Magma (live 1973)
Jul 14, 2018, 02:58
Rare glimpse of the short-lived tenth lineup of Magma leading up to "Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh" on French television:

Christian Vander (drums,vocals)
Klaus Blasquiz (vocals)
Rene Garber (aka: STÜNDËHR) (vocals)
Jean-Luc Manderlier (keyboards)
Jean-Pierre Lambert (bass)

If there was one person who was even more Magma than Vander, it was Rene Garber. What a true believer.
The Seth Man
1242 posts

SydArthur Festival 2018 Day 9: July 15th 1947 Roky Erickson’s Birthday
Jul 15, 2018, 19:02
I listened to "Creature With The Atom Brain," then a great acoustic and vocal version performed outdoor by Roky Erickson filmed in 1980:
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PJ21m2PfhU)

And then...the first 13th Floor Elevators album.

Roky Erickson, man: His voice is beyond, his mind is beautiful, and his lyrics are illuminating, penetrating, scary, and always heartfelt.

Probably because of THAT voice. And that mind. And those lyrics.
The Seth Man
1242 posts

SydArthur Festival Day 10: July 16th 2016 – Death of Alan Vega
Jul 16, 2018, 18:43
I only ever saw Alan Vega perform once. On June 28, 1983, sandwiched between Nash The Slash and Echo & The Bunnymen at the Roseland Ballroom, New York City, when I only knew him as the guy from Suicide. I was confused by his set, which seemed more like rockabilly than anything else.

It was rare when they came up in conversation, but when they did, Suicide seemed to really divide people -- as I discovered three years later when I finally heard "Frankie Teardrop" in a NYC record store. It was shocking to hear -- even then, a mere nine years after its release. Barry, a good customer, was silent along with the rest of the shop until he broke the silence with something along the lines of "I don't care what anyone thinks about this band but this is completely fucked up and lacking in any social or moral conscience" and walked out. Barry's reaction always stuck with me, because he was always such a composed and cosmopolitan guy.

When I finally heard the rest of their records, I loved the first side of both their first 2 records and "1/2 Alive" and marveled at how melodic they could get. And Vega was extreme with every emotion as much as his shorthand lyrics seemed quickly cribbed from the edge of an existence only he knew about that was just about to be snuffed out.

I was shocked when I heard he died, and kind of more so when I discovered how old he was. He always appeared to be far younger than he was, and had a fracturing energy that was simple to relate to, easy to dance to, and hard to forget.
The Seth Man
1242 posts

SydArthur Festival Day 11: July 17th 1967 – Death of John Coltrane
Jul 17, 2018, 01:30
Now currently taking the "A" Trane after "My Favorite Things."

First stop: "Africa/Brass" then..."Om."
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Re: SydArthur Festival Day 11: July 17th 1967 – Death of John Coltrane
Jul 17, 2018, 08:52
Today's entry is an excellent piece of writing, not only as a eulogy to Coltrane himself but as an illustration of his essential influence on the psychedelic rock groups of the 60s. The free-jazz pioneers (including Albert Ayler, Sun Ra etc) were undoubtedly as much of an direct inspiration for musicians to expand their artistic horizons, to loosen up and stretch out as LSD itself - and that is a beautiful thing.
The Seth Man
1242 posts

SydArthur Festival Day Day 12: July 18th - Death of Nico / Birth of Hunter S. Thompson
Jul 18, 2018, 20:24
Hunter S. Thompson and Nico: apples and oranges.

Aside from being stoned immaculate outsiders, one thing Hunter S. Thompson and Nico both shared was their partnership with other artists whose sympathetic crystallisations further developed their own works into high water marks of the late 20th Century: Specifically, Thompson's books with illustrations by Ralph Steadman and Nico's albums with arrangements by John Cale.

Both Steadman and Cale elaborated on their partners' specific art, channeling them into directions already reached: whether Steadman with his graphic, bloodthirsty psychedelic insanity or Cale's alternating prickly dissonance with somber European charm, both associates contributed embellishments that not only both defined and refined their colleagues' stark observations, but also illuminated those dark visions into perfectly fused statements.

HST
I first read Hunter S. Thompson in the autumn of 1980 when "Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas" was re-issued in paperback. I'd re-read several times throughout the eighties, as well as picking up copies of "Fear And Loathing: On The Campaign Trail '72," "The Great Shark Hunt" and "Hell's Angels." So many quotable lines , some many psychedelicized perceptions and so many chapters to re-read over and over.

Weird to think it was nearly 30 years ago that I was at the Ritz November 8, 1988, on the eve of the US presidential election, watching Hunter S. Thompson onstage field questions, drinking and smoking and eventually producing a rifle during an pretty unruly Q&A session. It also didn't help that Thompson was incoherent throughout the proceedings, and the audience was vocal and for the most part, rude and looking for a night off reality by getting loaded and stoned in the presence of the good Doctor.
Having just read "Generation Of Swine" a few months previously, I just took it all in and thought, 'this is a tapestry that'll never be painted again.' I think I also thought of Conrad's line thompson used at the end of "Hell's Angels": 'exterminate the brutes.'

NICO
It was also in NY in 1988 -- July 18th -- that I first heard of Nico's passing. When I heard she fell off a bicycle, in Ibiza, I first thought it was maybe a rumour. I had it confirmed a couple of days later, in a record store by a longtime Velvets fan.

"The Marble Index" and "Desertshore" were two records that have continued to grow in stature with the passing of the 1980s into the 1990s and beyond. I listened to "The Marble Index" a lot in the final months of 2001 and appended onto the CD reissue was "Nibelungen," an vocal only outtake that greatly moved me, and the lines reverberated by Nico in the studio continue to reverberate in me to the present day:

'Symbols captured in a trance
Vanish from my glance
For the various defenses
I enforce a strike the alarm
For the various defenses
That choose to be here and there
And lose the direction everywhere'

It was the last song I listened to in 2001, having fallen asleep hours before midnight.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index