Register
Unsung Forum »
SydArthur Festival 2018

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Re: SydArthur Festival Day Day 12: July 18th - Death of Nico / Birth of Hunter S. Thompson
Jul 18, 2018, 21:22
Splendid stuff sir!
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Re: SydArthur Festival Day Day 12: July 18th - Death of Nico / Birth of Hunter S. Thompson
Jul 19, 2018, 00:47
On the offchance that you've not read James Young's Nico - Songs They Never Play On The Radio I can assure you it's worth a few of your dollars.. it's about her time in Mancunia when Young played keys for her. Sad, brutal, funny, engrossing, and one of the very few books I've picked up and read from cover to cover in one go, if that's a recommendation.
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

Jul 19, 2018, 04:42
I second that emotion, great book (I believe the US title was THE END).
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

"I'll Keep It With Mine"
Jul 19, 2018, 04:49
I like the myth but really, Dylan did not write "I'll Keep It With Mine" for Nico. It dated back to 1964, he gave it a few passes himself before (and after) Judy Collins recorded it. He did share it w/Nico and perhaps suggested she record it. But write it for her? No, the composition precedes their relationship. Funny JC doesn't note Jimmy Page or Brian Jones, who were more directly involved in her early career.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I'll_Keep_It_with_Mine
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

Re: "I'll Keep It With Mine"
Jul 19, 2018, 04:53
Nico's first single, produced by Brian Jones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrRknEVRyIE
ottospooky
62 posts

Jul 19, 2018, 08:23
spencer wrote:
On the offchance that you've not read James Young's Nico - Songs They Never Play On The Radio I can assure you it's worth a few of your dollars.. it's about her time in Mancunia when Young played keys for her. Sad, brutal, funny, engrossing, and one of the very few books I've picked up and read from cover to cover in one go, if that's a recommendation.

I almost forgot about that book. It’s great!

Weird to think what she became.
The Seth Man
1242 posts

Jul 19, 2018, 19:20
spencer wrote:

Haven't read it, but I have read ichard Witts' "Nico: The Life and Lies Of An Icon" several times. It's probably the definitive biography of her life.
The Seth Man
1242 posts

Jul 19, 2018, 19:24
Glam Descendant wrote:
Nico's first single, produced by Brian Jones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrRknEVRyIE

Really? I always thought "I'm Not Sayin'" was produced by Andrew Loog Oldham, and the B-side was produced by Jimmy Page.
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

Jul 19, 2018, 20:27
"The Last Mile" was produced (and arranged and conducted) by Jimmy Page, co-written w/Loog-Oldham with Brian on guitar I think. I'll have to dig a little deeper.
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

Jul 19, 2018, 20:31
I'll look further but here's the wiki entry for Gordon Lightfoot's song "I'm Not Sayin'":

In late May 1965, Nico recorded a version of the song released on Immediate Records. Her version is stylistically reminiscent of the work of Marianne Faithfull. The single only garnered limited success. This version of the song features Jimmy Page, then a studio musician, on the 12-string guitar. Nico's version was produced by Rolling Stones multi-instrumentalist Brian Jones and the promo film was shot at West India Docks in London
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index