36 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

Re: Soundtracks up to 10.10.15
Oct 12, 2015, 20:51
Fitter Stoke wrote:
I know what you mean. I love 'The Final Cut', but it's not a Floyd album. The absence of Richard Wright only compounds that. Obviously ol'Rog had something to get off his chest - and how. It's one of the bitterest albums I've ever heard.

Floyd or not, mind, 'The Final Cut' pisses all over any one of the Waters-less albums that followed it. It's the last great record to bear the Pink Floyd name.

Totally agree. To me it is the last Floyd album. I do not really have much time for what followed after. Although I do have a liking for "The Endless River" - probably because it is mostly instrumental.

For me it has a very special place - as it was the first ever Floyd album I purchased and I gave it several plays at the time - introducing it to my friend who on the strength of it bought the entire back catalogie the next day. He was to become a very very good drummer which owed a lot to Nick Mason and he would accompany myself on many musical explorations for the next 30 years.

But it isn't all Roger, the album contains probably the most Gilmore guitar solos pro rata and some of his best. Mason's drumming is also asounding.

The album was the second album to contain "Holophonic sound". Psychic TV bet them to it with their masterpiece "Dreams Less Sweet".

It was also one of the few albums that spoke out against the Falkland's war. The only other one I can think about was Crass's "Yes, Sir I WIll" which was another kettle of fish and also Crass's last full length album!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index