Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Edited Oct 12, 2015, 00:05
Re: Soundtracks up to 10.10.15
Oct 12, 2015, 00:04
New:

Moster! – When You Cut Into The Present. It’s them Norwegians again, with more jazz prog skronk, but this is pretty great – their last album was a bit too freeform for me, but this time it’s all nailed to the floor by some groovy rhythm work: https://soundcloud.com/hubro/moster-nebula-and-red-giant-taken-from-the-upcoming-album-when-the-future-leaks-out#t=0:00 Features two thirds of Motorpsycho

Leroy – Sklash

Old:

Marillion – Misplaced Childhood. So, I’ve been having a little sentimental journey/regressive episode based about the music of my adolescence, a lot of which was (what’s now called) neo-prog. Marillion were a gateway drug to much better/cooler stuff, but you’ve got to give them their due, they got to number one here with what’s essentially an airbrushed version of The Wall. Listening back, I can appreciate the artistry of even ‘Kayleigh’, but Fish squawking over the top of all the good bits just ultimately wears you down.

Pallas – The Sentinel. Also signed to EMI, but always in Marillion’s shadow, I recall that nobody was particularly happy with their major label debut, the band included. Listening back, the shorter, rockier tracks are actually quite decent, but the longer stuff doesn’t really go anywhere.

Twelfth Night – Live At The Target. Of all the neo-prog bands, I still totally love TN. This live, no overdubs album from 81 and the studio Fact And Fiction album with the brilliant Geoff Mann are the two best albums to emerge from the whole scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQRlxvIKkw8

Samsara Blues Experiment – Long Distance Trip

Radiohead – The Bends

Live:

Hey Colossus – Chameleon Arts Café, Nottingham. Saw ‘em last night with Robot Emperor in a small upstairs room with a micro-climate of its own, and they were bloody brilliant. They’ve made a tremendous leap with their new album, but even the older stuff I wasn’t familiar with sounded awesome. They’ve currently in a sweet spot somewhere between the Butthole Surfers, Can and Hawkwind, which I’m sure you’ll agree is sweet indeed.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index