Soundtracks up to 10.10.15

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Soundtracks up to 10.10.15
Oct 11, 2015, 13:23
Been going through my Bat for Lashes albums: Fur and Gold and Two Suns. And very fine they are too.

Tim Booth - Bones. Might just be the best thing he has been involved with - certainly up there. From about 10 years ago, I think

Built to Spill - You in Reverse. One of my fav albums from about 10 years ago too

The Gun Club - Fire of Love

DJ Spooky - Optometry. That reminds me, I must check out Ian B's gift of a DJ Spooky album. Not wholly sure why he is a DJ, as there doesn't sound too much of it going on - mainly being modern jazz, but still

Neil Young - Trans. Bit of an unsung album. Not a classic, but definitely worth a listen and up there with some of his 70's material.
Beebon
1375 posts

Re: Soundtracks up to 10.10.15
Oct 11, 2015, 16:37
Big Star - #1 Record
Big Star - Radio City (Don't know why I didn't check these guys out before and am now glad I have, they are great!)

Darkthrone - A Blaze In The Northern Sky

Autopsy - Mental Funeral

Carlton Melton - Photos of Photos
Carlton Melton - Out To Sea (Still loving this band, Photos of Photos is just perfect)

Venom - Welcome To Hell
Midnight - Complete and Total Fucking Midnight
Chris Bell - I Am The Cosmos
Satan - Court In The Act

J S Bach - Mass In B Minor (stunning)
J S Bach - The Brandenburg Concertos 1-6
Janacek - String Quartets/Violin Sonata/Pohadka
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Oct 11, 2015, 16:38
Main repeats for this week:

Paul McCartney - McCartney II
1980 is smack bang in the middle of my favourite period of music, when a seemingly endless stream of wonderful albums was being released. Into this comes McCartney's first album after the demise of Wings. Now feted as something of a pioneering classic of electronic experimentation, I've never heard it before and thought it was about time.

The opening "Coming Up" (the only song on here I'd heard before) is a breezy and enjoyable piece of pop-funk, like the poppier end of the Talking Heads catalogue. After that we're into the now-famous "Temporary Secretary", which has a nicely frenetic electronic pulse under a rather throwaway lyric, but so far so fine. Sadly the quality seems to take a massive nosedive after this, McCartney slipping back into twee ("Waterfalls") and cod-blues ("On The Way"), coupled with a "what does this setting on my new keyboard do?" number in "Front Parlour". "Bogey Music" is the kind of nonsense that would lead to "The Frog Chorus". Only at the end does the quality reassert itself, with the slightly creepy "Darkroom" echoing the kind of unsettling thing Peter Gabriel might do lyrically and the nicely understated closer of "One Of These Days".

It's nice to hear someone as hugely famous as McCartney was in 1980 trying out a new direction - he's never been afraid to experiment - but this is hardly the future-predicting masterwork that it seems to be revered as. By 1980 electronic pop music was way ahead of this, think Travelogue, Metamatic, The Pleasure Principle, The Voice of America, Organisation, not to mention what Kraftwerk, Bowie etc had been doing three years earlier.

Autechre - Exai
After listening to this for four evenings solid I came to the conclusion it's not really doing it for me. I like the two 10 minute plus tracks "Bladelores" and "Cloudline" but the rest is hard work, quite disappointingly unlistenable after the previous Oversteps.

Pauline Murray & The Invisible Girls - S/T
Post-Penetration, Murray teamed up with Steve Hopkins and Martin Hannett's Invisible Girls for an album that I have on vinyl but haven't listened to for years. Now re-released on LTM/Les Disques du Crepuscule, it's not at all bad. Murray isn't the most accomplished singer but the more propulsive tracks like "Dream Sequence" are pretty decent. Hannett's instantly recognisable production isn't his best here though.

Otherwise:

Joe Gibbs & The Professionals - African Dub Chapter Four

New Order - Movement
New Order - Power, Corruption & Lies
New Order - Brotherhood
New Order - Technique
The Wedding Present - Bizarro

Lush - Gala

New Order - Waiting For The Siren's Call

New Order - Music Complete
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Edited Oct 15, 2015, 12:06
Oct 11, 2015, 16:43
The Dream Academy - The Morning Lasted All Day: A Retrospective

Bob Dylan - John Wesley Harding
Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline

Michael Nesmith & The First National Band - Magnetic South
Michael Nesmith & The First National Band - Loose Salute

Carol Of Harvest - Carol Of Harvest

The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed

Espers - Espers II
Espers - Live At Bush Hall

Yo La Tengo - Fakebook
Yo La Tengo - Can I Sing With Me

The Walker Brothers - Take It Easy With...
The Walker Brothers - Portrait
The Walker Brothers - Images

Third Ear Band - Macbeth

The Kingsbury Manx - Aztec Discipline/Afternoon Owls
The Kingsbury Manx - The Fast Rise & Fall Of The South

The Turtles - Chalon Road
The Turtles - Turtle Soup

Elvis Presley - I'm 10,000 Years Old: Elvis Country
Elvis Presley - Love Letters From Elvis
Elvis Presley - Elvis Now
Elvis Presley - Standing Room Only

Genesis - Duke
Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel 3
Steve Hackett - Defector

Pet Shop Boys - Elysium (Hated this album when it first came out, but it has grown on me. But it is a weird one - starts out as if it is going to be another autumnal collection like 'Behaviour' and then starts alternating between barbed piss-takes, and ultra-sincere inspirational songs. Very jarring, but closing song 'Requiem In Denim & Leopardskin' is one of their best ever).
Pet Shop Boys - Electric

Elton John - I Get A Little Bit Lonely (First heard of this ultra-rare bootleg almost 30 years ago, and finally found a copy a few months ago in a Brisbane record shop. No price on it, but the young assistant sold it to me for $20. Stupidly I didn't then make a hasty exit with my prize, as the owner then turned up and broke the news to me that it was part of their 'library' and had been put in the racks by mistake. I did the decent thing and returned it for a refund. Gah! Had to make do with a download from a blog instead, but nothing like owning the actual vinyl).
Elton John - Dick James Demos Vol. 2

Orchestral Manœuvres In The Dark - Orchestral Manœuvres In The Dark

Bobbie Gentry & Glen Campbell - Bobbie Gentry & Glen Campbell

Julian Cope - Floored Genius

Synanthesia - Synanthesia
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Edited Oct 11, 2015, 20:47
Oct 11, 2015, 20:46
Focus - Moving Waves
Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells a Story
Faces - A nods as Good As A Wink, Long Player
Thomas Koner - Nunatak, Teimo, Permafrost
Arvo Part - Tintinnabuli

Joe Walsh - The Smoker You Drink, You Can't Argue With a Sick Mind, So What
My latest fad - lots of Joe Walsh. Really enjoying these.

St Germain - S/T
Marvellous deserty blues with beats. Gorgeous hot sounding album.

Steve Hackett - Wolflight, Please Don't Touch, Spectral Mornings
Saw Mr Hackett at Guildford this week and him and his band were bloody brilliant. Great show too. Revisiting all of the albums of his that I've got as a consequence.

Vinyl:

The Heads - Time in Space
Splendid blue splatter double - rocking!

Minami Deutsch - ??
Various - Stay Holy (Cardinal Fuzz)

Dead Sea Apes - Spectral Domain
Still shaping up as album of the year. Excellent.

Hills - Frid
Luminous Bodies - S/T
keith a
9573 posts

Oct 11, 2015, 22:51
Street Legal – Bob Dylan
I hadn’t heard this in some time, but after hearing the lovely Baby Stop Crying yesterday I thought I’d give it a whirl. The critics were sniffy about it at the time, but I liked it (it was the first Dylan LP I bought!) I remember talking to a Dylan fan circa 1990 and him saying Street Legal was Dylan's last great LP. I remarked that it wasn't rated at the time and he said something like "Yeah, but we didn't know how bad things were gonna get after that!" Of course there have been LP's that are rated since though!

Before & After Science – Eno
Loving this at the moment!

Commune - Goat
This still hasn’t grabbed me like the first one did.

Shadow Of The Sun - Moon Duo
OK, they’re one trick ponies, but it’s a decent trick. Free The Skull is excellent - I just wish it was longer that four minutes!

The Black Ark Years (The Jamaican 7”s) - Lee ‘Scratch’ Perry
Especially Susan Cadogan’s Do It Baby. Incidentally I hadn’t known that her 1975 minor hit Love Me Baby was produced by a pre-SAW Pete Waterman!

The Stone Turntable – Transglobal Underground
A Gathering of Strangers – Unite
Stone Turntable is a more than decent TGU album from a few years back. The Unite album is another TGU project from 2010 that passed me by till last year.

Where Did the Night Fall - Unkle
This really is a great album. The closing two tracks with vocals by Gavin Clarke and Mark Lanegan (sounding very Iggy-like) respectively are excellent.

Also...
Mala – Devendra Banhart
S/T - Cult Of Dom Keller
Music Complete - New Order
Between The Buttons – Rolling Stones
The Dub Album That They Didn’t Want You To Hear - Scientist
Heads & Hearts – The Sound
Granular Tales – The Woodentops
Is Is EP – Yeah Yeah Yeahs
1001realapes
1001realapes
2387 posts

Edited Oct 12, 2015, 00:06
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 10 October 2015 CE
Oct 11, 2015, 23:58
R. Carlos Nakai - Canyon Trilogy

Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Pink Floyd - A Saucerful of Secrets

Pink Floyd - More

Pink Floyd - Ummagumma

Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother

The Famous Jugband - Sunshine Possibilities

Wilco - Star Wars

Miles Davis - Filles de Kilimanjaro

Miles Davis - Nefertiti

Cluster - II

Cluster - Zuckerzeit

Cluster - Sowiesoso

Cluster - Grosses Wasser

Cluster - Curiosum

Harmonia - Musik von Harmonia

Roedelius - Tape Archive 1973-1978

Ennio Morricone - Maddelana

Yes - The Yes Album

Yes - Relayer

Yes - Fragile

Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure

Rolf Trostel - Inselmusik

Rolf Trostel - Narrow Gate to Life

Jethro Tull - A Passion Play

John Lennon - Walls & Bridges

Atomine Elektrine - Laniakea

High Wolf - Japan Tour Tape

High Wolf - Japan Tour cdr 2010
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Edited Oct 12, 2015, 00:05
Oct 12, 2015, 00:04
New:

Moster! – When You Cut Into The Present. It’s them Norwegians again, with more jazz prog skronk, but this is pretty great – their last album was a bit too freeform for me, but this time it’s all nailed to the floor by some groovy rhythm work: https://soundcloud.com/hubro/moster-nebula-and-red-giant-taken-from-the-upcoming-album-when-the-future-leaks-out#t=0:00 Features two thirds of Motorpsycho

Leroy – Sklash

Old:

Marillion – Misplaced Childhood. So, I’ve been having a little sentimental journey/regressive episode based about the music of my adolescence, a lot of which was (what’s now called) neo-prog. Marillion were a gateway drug to much better/cooler stuff, but you’ve got to give them their due, they got to number one here with what’s essentially an airbrushed version of The Wall. Listening back, I can appreciate the artistry of even ‘Kayleigh’, but Fish squawking over the top of all the good bits just ultimately wears you down.

Pallas – The Sentinel. Also signed to EMI, but always in Marillion’s shadow, I recall that nobody was particularly happy with their major label debut, the band included. Listening back, the shorter, rockier tracks are actually quite decent, but the longer stuff doesn’t really go anywhere.

Twelfth Night – Live At The Target. Of all the neo-prog bands, I still totally love TN. This live, no overdubs album from 81 and the studio Fact And Fiction album with the brilliant Geoff Mann are the two best albums to emerge from the whole scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQRlxvIKkw8

Samsara Blues Experiment – Long Distance Trip

Radiohead – The Bends

Live:

Hey Colossus – Chameleon Arts Café, Nottingham. Saw ‘em last night with Robot Emperor in a small upstairs room with a micro-climate of its own, and they were bloody brilliant. They’ve made a tremendous leap with their new album, but even the older stuff I wasn’t familiar with sounded awesome. They’ve currently in a sweet spot somewhere between the Butthole Surfers, Can and Hawkwind, which I’m sure you’ll agree is sweet indeed.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Edited Oct 12, 2015, 07:08
Oct 12, 2015, 06:47
Coil - Backwards
Loving this, different to the 'New Backwards' sometimes dancier versions. More like a proper Coil release. Made me realise how much I miss the boys :(
Fire Of The Mind - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMk5NQ-cBfk

Coil - Horse Rotorvator
Haven't played this for a long long time. Was my entry 'drug' to all things Coil, and has remained a firm but neglected favourite. I'd forgotten what a diverse release it was thematically, tonally and musically. Jhonn sounds stupidly young when he sings. Unsung Classic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suPBuuLCbUk&list=PLphrIV29xxqsgrW827O3XuNA_bU2UlbgY

Electric Sewer Age - Moons Milk Final Phase
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOAiDq2xtw8&list=PL27E8D1CBEDE18525

King Cannibal - Let The Night Roar
Dubstep, Drum & Bass, Bass noise, French rap etc .
Unusually diverse arrangements for suc a release. really enjoye it.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4nhkmVgb7Ehd5IMkHvHhMzCaWjhMxiTf

Sand - Golem
You know the score....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o1YRBitxCo&list=PLjc8Jcsf6q4l8kzY5iga7N5BUoKRtdi5L

Whitest Boy Alive - Dreams
Kings of Convienience do minimalist, sulky indie sounds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LybkfBoDnX0&list=PL2FBuOxrtloNsGCEs9P6Zu4gkoJFd5wPx

Fujiya Miyagi - Transparent Things
Neu! gets the locked in disco treatment. Still a great record, even after all this time. Not a duffer on there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5XVeENmLMk&list=PLsxMSJkSqACiShozNdL1zMWvf4HXr-nV6

Throbbing Gristle - Live 1,2,3,4 plus Rafters and Death Factory
Think Death Factory/ Manchester gig is my fave TG live album
Factory live - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB2m2hn1B0g

Sherwood at the Controls 1979-1984 - Various
On-U Sound had some great releases back in the day. Was a joy to hear Prince Far I doing 'Nuclear Weapon' (another version came later as a 7" - 'Bedward The Flying Preacher) a long forgotten bass and horn heavy dub favourite. Had to dig out Singers and Players - 'Water The Garden' track and the whole of Dub Syndicate's 'Pounding System' too, a real killer album from the early 80's.
Far I - Bedward...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arWbdzckkSA
Singers and Players - Water....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8Uwr3p1niw
Dub Syndicate mix of tracks -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzTBlIXSky0&list=RDGzTBlIXSky0
Very nice Prince Far I Peel Session from 1978....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-Eo_FTa9ew

Saw Lonelady live t'other night. Was a great gig, much prefer the band live to on record. The sounds bled together wonderfully, and it was nice to see the syndrums out in force. Not seen so much percussion in attendance since New Order - Tower Ballroom, Edgbaston, 1985. Lovely inflections of New Order, Depeche Mode and even Fujiya Miyagi in the live sound, and when they locked in it was mesmeric. Only 'blah' of the night, no encore, and merch prices were silly money....£8 for a 7" !!!! Still, great night.

Have a good week y'all
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Oct 12, 2015, 10:34
Ooo! Ta for the Prince Far I Peel Session link. I remember that. John just loved the guy.
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index