Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 03 October 2015 CE

48 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 03 October 2015 CE
Oct 05, 2015, 13:56
My subconscious has decided its winter despite the weather disagreeing. Inner struggle to get out the door without the 3/4 length woollen overcoat despite a temperature of close to 20 degrees. The unintentional winter listening has kicked in as well. Sunny days sound tracked by glacial beauty and introspective brooding menace. Enough with the pretence of being cheerful. Yay!

Although Machinery Elf did set me off on a trawl of NWOBHM last night. Praying Mantis (Time Tells No Lies)sounded bloody awful. Was well into Demon (The Plague)and Diamond Head (Canterbury). Wintery Metal perhaps? At 10 o'clock last night this sounded like the best record ever made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdXPa6QVHU0

(Vardis - If I Were King). Albums called 100mph. You probably had to be there. It was kicking. Thanks also to the brewer Bass for manufacturing their Pale Ale. Anyway, back to the misery.

Miles Davis - In A Silent Way, Kind Of Blue. Not often I can listen to these due to over familiarity, unless I concentrate I can barely hear them. Were back to awesome this week.

Skip James - Blues From The Delta. All his sixties recordings on a single cd. This is almost essential. So eerie. Not sure its blues music though.

Jeremy Summerley - Lamentations White; Tallis; Palestrina. Worth £4 of anyones money. Recommended. Has anyone ever reduced these choral works to the drones they are constructed from? Dik-Mik and Del Dettmar should get back together and do it on the kit they used with Hawkwind. I may be hung-over.

Oxford Camerata - Byrd Mass for Four Voices, Five Voices and Infelix ego.

Portishead - 3rd.

Stars In Battledress - In Droplet Form. This really is fantastic. Piano, Guitar and a haunting voice.

Slowdive - Pygmalion.

John Tavener - Darkness Into Light.

Richard Youngs - Sapphie, May, Airs Of The Ear.

Classical bits include Gorecki (3rd), Mahler (2nd), Hovhaness (who I know nothing about but his Mysterious Mountain and Star Dawn sounded like their titles, would like to know more), Rautavaara (Incantations) and William Alwyn (The Magic Island).

Have a solemn and brooding week y'awl.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index