Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 03 October 2015 CE

48 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9570 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 03 October 2015 CE
Oct 04, 2015, 22:50
The Velvet Trail – Marc Almond
First album I've bought by MA for ages and I've got to say it’s good to hear him again.

Push The Sky Away - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
I actually think this is a bit of a classic Bad Seeds album.

Music For Pleasure – The Damned
Most of the second albums by the original punk/new wave acts (Buzzcocks, Clash, Jam, Adverts) were inferior to their debuts and MFP is no exception. OK, they did try a few different things (along with the singles I thought the relentless You Know and the Television pastiche Idiot Box were the best things on it), but it felt like some of the energy had been sucked out of it. I've enjoyed hearing it again though and the Stooges-like Alone sounds ace!

Machine Gun Etiquette – The Damned
I saw The Damned for the umpteenth time a couple of weeks ago and from the opening Love Song (complete with ‘Ladies & Gentlemen, how do?’ intro) MGE, along with The Black album, provided a large part of the set. They were great by the way!

Who Is The Sender - Bill Fay
I don’t think BF’s latest is quite as good as Life Is People, but all the same it’s got moments of real beauty. How Little is one such number.

Hollow Meadows – Richard Hawley
Only RH’s newie once as yet, but it sounded pretty decent.

Ones & Sixes – Low
Yet another fabulous release from Duluth’s finest. As mentioned elsewhere here there are top tunes, interesting arrangements and fab harmonies.

Cellar Songs EP - Meilir
There are some decent acts round here these days and Meilir is one of the finest. This is pretty damn special.

Music Complete - New Order
Really enjoyable though there’s a sense that there’s some pandering to their audience here. I’d certainly have liked a few more risks.

What The World Needs Now... - PiL
I saw them live last week and they were sensational. No, really! I’d only seen them once before, way back in 1986 and though I enjoyed them there was a sense they were past their best back then. They probably still are on record though this has its moments but live they were something else. Hilites were Poptones, Deeper Water, Warrior (not one of my fave numbers by them I have to say) and a fabulous Death Disco. They ended with a lengthy Religion before coming back with Public Image and a singalong Rise.

Righteous Lite - Revolutionary Corps of Teenage Jesus
1999 album where former Altered Images member Stephen Lironi got to be a Martin Rev figure and provide the musical backdrop for some wonderful Alan Vega moments.

Sun Structures – Temples
The opening former single Shelter Song apart I was rather disappointed with this album on its release, but going back to it now it sounds altogether better.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index