tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Just Like Peter Townshend Sang...
Aug 07, 2015, 08:32
IanB wrote:
tiompan wrote:
IanB wrote:
[God bless the likes of MFP helping kids and the less well off get a taste of the music via what were really good recordings by and large.

And more so , Libraries .

True for me in the 80s at least. Our local library didn't have records when I was a kid so budget labels and compilations ruled in the early 70s

Lambeth had a wondeful collection of classical /"serious " including the contemporary stuff, music concrete etc ,jazz , folk and what would now be now described as "world music " , in the late 60's .
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Aug 07, 2015, 08:53
tiompan wrote:
IanB wrote:
tiompan wrote:
IanB wrote:
[God bless the likes of MFP helping kids and the less well off get a taste of the music via what were really good recordings by and large.

And more so , Libraries .

True for me in the 80s at least. Our local library didn't have records when I was a kid so budget labels and compilations ruled in the early 70s

Lambeth had a wondeful collection of classical /"serious " including the contemporary stuff, music concrete etc ,jazz , folk and what would now be now described as "world music " , in the late 60's .

I think it is safe to say that in the 60s / 70s I would have been looking for considerably less refined stuff so not sure what was happening around our way. My mum and dad never took records out of the library as far as I know. My aunty would turn up with a new record for my dad in the Phillips series every few weeks - Offenbach, Grieg, Rimsky-Korsakov, Rossini, "lollipops". My mum was more a Sinatra / Dorsey / Miller kind of woman.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Ansermet's Sheherazade
Aug 08, 2015, 09:50
If you mean Ansermet's Paris Conservatoire recording (as distinct from the Suisse Romande one) I'm with you - it's fabulous. I've got both recordings, but it's the earlier one that is the more vibrant.

I've also got recordings of Sheherazade conducted by Beecham, Karajan, Reiner, Stokowski, Dutoit, Celibidache, Dorati, Steinberg and Kondrashin. Each has its own merits but I'll always maintain that the version that introduced me to the work - Matacic's - is particularly special. It's still available on a Testament CD if anyone's interested.
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Re: Ansermet's Sheherazade
Aug 08, 2015, 12:32
Fitter Stoke wrote:
If you mean Ansermet's Paris Conservatoire recording (as distinct from the Suisse Romande one) I'm with you - it's fabulous. I've got both recordings, but it's the earlier one that is the more vibrant.

I've also got recordings of Sheherazade conducted by Beecham, Karajan, Reiner, Stokowski, Dutoit, Celibidache, Dorati, Steinberg and Kondrashin. Each has its own merits but I'll always maintain that the version that introduced me to the work - Matacic's - is particularly special. It's still available on a Testament CD if anyone's interested.

Hah! You nailed it!
It's the Paris Conservatoire one on London records # LL 6, Its a very old 33 1/3 too.
I love the thing..... played it many times. It nails the antiquity that Rimsky Korsakov must have had in mind. The solo violin voice of scherazade is so feminine and sweet too. And its just Old....{the recording}

I have 2 Ansermets, 1 Reiner, 1 Monteux,1 Ormandy,1 Bernstein, 2 Stowkowski's, 2 copies of Beecham on Angel records.....
Is that enough? All on Lp's. I've thumbed my nose at what i have thought were lesser performances over the years too....hope i was'nt too mistaken.
keith a
9574 posts

Aug 08, 2015, 15:15
Kid Calamity wrote:
Think Zinc from Zinc Alloy & The Hidden Riders Of Tomorrow

It was on Bolan's Zip Gun, mate! ;)
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Aug 08, 2015, 15:17
I checked and I've got the Bernstein and Monteux recordings too (tucked away in box sets that I hadn't thought to look into) - must give them a spin. And yeah, Leopold Stokowski (a.k.a. Leonard Stokes*, the music world's most foreign sounding cockney) recorded it at least three times: I've got his recordings from 1934 (Philadelphia), 1951 (Philharmonia) and 1964 (LSO) but I'm sure there were more, as it was one of his real party pieces.

Hey, when you dig a great piece of music like Sheherazade, you can never have enough versions. One thing I really enjoy about classical music is that, while there's no such thing as the perfect interpretation, it's great fun trying to find it. That's why I have over 150 recordings of Beethoven's Fifth, for example. Well that, and an obsessive personality!

(*Apocryphal, but a great myth - and he really was born in east London despite his fake east European accent.)
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 08, 2015, 20:10
Aug 08, 2015, 20:02
Oh the vagaries of collecting!

For a piece I am not crazy about (Ravel's Sheherezade is more my cuppa) I have ended up with five recordings. Not sure how that happened. I have three recordings that I am really fond of - two Celis (one EMI one DG) as well as the Kondrashin (all of which we have in common along with Karajan and Reiner). Will check out your other recommendations as you never know which conductor is going to totally open up a piece for you.

ps have been wallowing in the Orfeo release of the Hans Knappertsbuch, Günther Treptow, Helena Braun Tristan. It's completely overpowering. About half way through I was momentarily thinking that maybe I would never listen to anything else!
keith a
9574 posts

Aug 08, 2015, 22:09
Fitter Stoke wrote:
IanB wrote:
...the MFP Ride A White Swan compilation.

While we're on the subject of Music For Pleasure

Not forgetting...

http://cdn.discogs.com/19pEW5opa89DmH2x8PMHrnawpxk=/fit-in/300x300/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb()/discogs-images/R-2022318-1327930986.jpeg.jpg
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Aug 08, 2015, 22:09
I won't post aught else 'bout classical and hog up this particular thread....
But we have got to get a continuing classical thread going that stays relatively on point.
I have so much i'd like to be able to discuss about my sojourns.
Fitter?
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Aug 08, 2015, 22:15
keith a wrote:
Fitter Stoke wrote:
IanB wrote:
...the MFP Ride A White Swan compilation.

While we're on the subject of Music For Pleasure

Not forgetting...

http://cdn.discogs.com/19pEW5opa89DmH2x8PMHrnawpxk=/fit-in/300x300/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb()/discogs-images/R-2022318-1327930986.jpeg.jpg

Wow never seen that. When it came to MFP I think we were more of a Glen Campbell, Strings For Pleasure and Godspell-performed-by-a-cast-of-people-you've-never-heard-of kind of family
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index