Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Re: Just Like Peter Townshend Sang...
Aug 05, 2015, 21:46
IanB wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
IanB wrote:
I came lately but Children of the Revolution was my first conscious riff love object (if you don't count the TOTP theme version of Whole Lotta Love). I really liked School's Out earlier that summer but not enough to beg the extra money to buy the single. I was 10 and football mattered more.

The Slider didn't really do it for me and by December I was all Ziggy all the time. Not my favourite artist of that era (I probably play Sweet's Level Headed more often than any Bolan) but big soft spot for Electric Warrior and the MFP Ride A White Swan compilation.

Ah the MFP Ride a White Swan comp - I never owned that but just about everyone else I knew did. Memories! Those MFP albums introduced so many of our generation to so many bands.

True. Not to mention "Laugh With The Comedians" an lp so un-PC I might be drummed out of my local Labour Party for owning a copy.

haha! don't remember that one!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Aug 05, 2015, 22:09
Squid Tempest wrote:
IanB wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
IanB wrote:
I came lately but Children of the Revolution was my first conscious riff love object (if you don't count the TOTP theme version of Whole Lotta Love). I really liked School's Out earlier that summer but not enough to beg the extra money to buy the single. I was 10 and football mattered more.

The Slider didn't really do it for me and by December I was all Ziggy all the time. Not my favourite artist of that era (I probably play Sweet's Level Headed more often than any Bolan) but big soft spot for Electric Warrior and the MFP Ride A White Swan compilation.

Ah the MFP Ride a White Swan comp - I never owned that but just about everyone else I knew did. Memories! Those MFP albums introduced so many of our generation to so many bands.

True. Not to mention "Laugh With The Comedians" an lp so un-PC I might be drummed out of my local Labour Party for owning a copy.

haha! don't remember that one!

This is pretty representative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrzAz6RfoxE
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Aug 06, 2015, 11:11
The Comedians was a TV series, for a while. I think it was a spin-off from The Wheel Tappers & Shunters Club.

Basically, it featured a lot of the northern club circuit turns, of the early 70s, banging out lot of toned down bits of their repertoire of racist and sexist jokes. Of its time. Before the targets of the jokes had a voice.

Nicely lampooned, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxFqv1QDI3Q
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 06, 2015, 12:34
Aug 06, 2015, 12:33
I remember it all too well. My family loved it. That's why I was bought the album.

On the upside Frank Carson did a set at the WEA press dept Xmas party in the late 80s and it was probably the best stand up I have ever seen.
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Edited Aug 06, 2015, 14:59
Aug 06, 2015, 14:58
Did he, at any point say "It's bloody Christmas cracker!"?

I liked Frank. He had a good sense of the absurd.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Edited Aug 06, 2015, 17:21
Aug 06, 2015, 17:18
IanB wrote:
...the MFP Ride A White Swan compilation.

Ah, that MFP comp with the mottled purple sleeve and a prime selection of Tyrannosaurus Rex oldies. I loved it, and to this day 'Elemental Child' remains my favourite slice of primest Marc. These days I dig it in the context of its original release ('A Beard Of Stars', natch) but I'd love to find a decent nick copy of that cheap MFP release to bring back the memories.

While we're on the subject of Music For Pleasure, I owe that label a great deal for giving me a love of classical music which, as a child, came way before any appreciation of rock and roll. I still rate their versions of Beethoven's Symphonies 5 to 9 (William Steinberg and the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra) very highly, even though I've since gone on to hear, and own, many other, more lauded, recordings. They even put out Wilhelm Furtwangler's stunning studio Vienna Phil Beethoven Fourth - I still have it. And MFP gave a new lease of life to a load of forgotten Philharmonia monos featuring great, underrated conductors like Igor Markevitch, Paul Kletzki, Nicolai Malko and George Weldon. There is no finer 'Scheherazade' than that of Lovro von Matacic, a 12/6d stone bargain back in 1967.

My sig pic is yours truly about to play that very record. I've put on a bit of weight since then...
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 06, 2015, 17:49
Aug 06, 2015, 17:45
Fitter Stoke wrote:
IanB wrote:
...the MFP Ride A White Swan compilation.

Ah, that MFP comp with the mottled purple sleeve and a prime selection of Tyrannosaurus Rex oldies. I loved it, and to this day 'Elemental Child' remains my favourite slice of primest Marc. These days I dig it in the context of its original release ('A Beard Of Stars', natch) but I'd love to find a decent nick copy of that cheap MFP release to bring back the memories.

While we're on the subject of Music For Pleasure, I owe that label a great deal for giving me a love of classical music which, as a child, came way before any appreciation of rock and roll. I still rate their versions of Beethoven's Symphonies 5 to 9 (William Steinberg and the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra) very highly, even though I've since gone on to hear, and own, many other, more lauded, recordings. They even put out Wilhelm Furtwangler's stunning studio Vienna Phil Beethoven Fourth - I still have it. And MFP gave a new lease of life to a load of forgotten Philharmonia monos featuring great, underrated conductors like Igor Markevitch, Paul Kletzki, Nicolai Malko and George Weldon. There is no finer 'Scheherazade' than that of Lovro von Matacic, a 12/6d stone bargain back in 1967.

My sig pic is yours truly about to play that very record. I've put on a bit of weight since then...

Brilliant. I missed out on Ride A White Swan originally because I bought the then current TOTP album to get Children of the Revolution AND Virgina Plain for 75p or whatever it was. I had no idea they were covers. Once I had RAWS I liked it much more than The Slider. I wish I still had it. Probably went down Record and Tape in part exchange for a No Dice or Lurkers album or something else awful.

The classical MFPs were great and we were still selling loads of those in the record shop I had a job in circa 1981. There was also a great 60's Philips series with a standard design with a silver/grey edging. Classical Favourites it was called. My aunty worked in the record shop in the Gaumont arcade in Finchley and she used to bring them home for my Dad who was another autodidact when it came to cultural stuff. I still have a Henryk Szeryng recital in that series that is just brilliant. DG did a series of popularising cassettes in the 8os called Walkman classics that were great too. I guess there are still plenty of budget series around today but there isn't the same need with Spotify and such like. Everything is far more available but people still need a guiding hand a bit of curation on their way into classical. God bless the likes of MFP helping kids and the less well off get a taste of the music via what were really good recordings by and large.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Aug 06, 2015, 19:46
IanB wrote:
[God bless the likes of MFP helping kids and the less well off get a taste of the music via what were really good recordings by and large.

And more so , Libraries .
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Aug 06, 2015, 20:26
No finer Scherazade?
Hmmmmmm.......

I must have near a dozen versions of that.

I really like the oldest Ansermet one i heve best tho.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 06, 2015, 23:24
Aug 06, 2015, 23:14
tiompan wrote:
IanB wrote:
[God bless the likes of MFP helping kids and the less well off get a taste of the music via what were really good recordings by and large.

And more so , Libraries .

True for me in the 80s at least. Our local library didn't have records when I was a kid so budget labels and compilations ruled in the early 70s
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index